CB Radio Recommendations - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:54 AM
mikeinta

CB Radio Recommendations

I've gotton to the point where it's time for CB radio in the event of emergency. The purpose is emergency communications with park ranger or other access in the event I get stuck on a long trail and the hike out would be questionable. I don't necessarily need it for Jeep-to-jeep communication as I have two-ways for that.

I am looking for recommendations:
pros and cons of Hand held vs. hard wired?
Specifications I should consider?
Brands that you recommend?

As always, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Re: CB Radio Recommendations

Not all to long ago there was a similar question. I personally use a peaked and tune Uniden with an Astetic noice canceling mic. I swap this between the Jeep and the semi. And haven't had any major problems with it. Also whatever you choose use and external speaker the sound is a lot better and easier to understand what the other person is saying. Use a good antenna and have your system set up by a professional(local CB shops usually will do this and set your SWRs for 30-35 bucks). Follow this and you should have a radio that will reach out approx. 15 miles. If you want more range than that get an amature radio license and run something with sideband, shortwave, and an adjustable liniar. Liniars are illegal in most states without an amature license. Go here to check out the last thread I remember on this subject if I remember correctly it had some good info in it.
Hope this helps,
John
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

this Guy from another bb is having a sale on a good radio.. already tweaked and peaked.. (what that means is he has tuned it for max power).. and like stated above.. get it tuned by a pro... you could do it yourself.. but youd need a good swvr meter... which would be another 30 bucks or so.. but a good ant. and good placement of it make the world of difference.... so does length of cable.. talk to your local cb guy before you install it yourself..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Veteran

Just remember one thing,.....you could have the best radio that money could buy, but with a crappy antenna, it ain't gonna work too good,.....look at the Wilson or Firestick tuneable antenna's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Way Outta Control

Actually if you are concerned about walking out - both types, mobil and hand held would be best.
Call for help, if that doesn't work, like a hill's in the way, take the handheld along on the walk out.
Some handheld's are as powerful as a mobil - only 5 watts is legal. Some you can connect to the Jeep's antenna - best of both worlds.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Veteran

I had a Cobra HH34 hand held CB wired to an external hard mount 3' antenna. I didn't have very good luck with it. Weak recpetion and transmission. I tried several things before switching to a hard mount Uniden no frills model. I love it. Same antenna but much more range than the hand held. Maybe I was doing something wrong with the hand held, but I would go hard wired.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 11:34 PM

I think we have missed something entirely here... Based on your description, CB is NOT the tool I would recommend. CB's are great for trail communication and intervehicle comms, but when you need to punch out in case of an emergency, there's really not a good/legal way to do that. Now if you want a GOOD CB, those recommended here are nice the full-size cobras are hard to beat when tuned properly with a good antenna.

BUT
For the applications you describe, I would recommend a combination of 2 other tools:
1) Cell phone -- they are everywhere, you can't always get a signal, but it's a good backup.
2) Ham radio -- you do need a license to broadcast (except in a true emergency, which they WILL check), but in recent years the equipment has come down in cost and the tests are much easier. While I am personally headed in this direction, I have not yet made the leap. Also on the plus side there are LOTS of Hams out there who are willing to help you get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode