O/T new tow rig! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T new tow rig!

well here is the new company truck.. its a 2003 F-250 Super Duty, Super Cab, 4x4, 6.0L Diesel, 5 speed automatic, XLT, 500 miles on it... and i love it.. its so much nicer to drive than my old 6 speed manual diesel.. that thing seems like a semi compared to this one..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1184157-f250 side.JPG (77.6 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T new tow rig!

very Very nice... Now when can we expect to see an orange jeep behind it????

Btw what happened with that 360 you were going to put in it to make it through till your 401 was done? Reason I ask is there has been a couple motors come available locally pretty cheap...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

neither one ran.. the trannies were shot.. and he still wanted $400 for the damn thing.. wasnt worth my time and effort.. i dont need a whole wagoneer that bad..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Veteran

Theresa said that she likes the other one better. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I guess she just likes things that are bigger [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:20 AM

Congrats...you're going to love it! We had them leased for our fleet this summer, and I spent many, many hours driving across the province of Ontario in it...It rode a little bit better with 4 45 gallon drums of jet fuel in the back (about 400 lbs each), and still had plenty of giddy-up...Took a little longer to stop, though....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Very nice Pat.... but now all you need is to have a reason to have a tow vehicle... [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Ouch!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yea those things are nice. We have two at work. Big improvement in power over the last couple of model years. Isn't the 5 spd manual the one that can be equiped w/ a PTO? I know one of the new trany's can be fited with one. I just pulled 4 pallets of wheat seed home with my works' '03 superduty. 70 mph no sweat. And the tow feature that sort of acts like a jake brake (automatically down shifts for compression braking) comming down hills really helps.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

OH YEAH!!!!!

My Jeep is going to look good behind that thing!
What's up w/ those little bitty tires you got on there? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

Great score!!! I have almost the exact same truck except in Laramie trim. I also have the FX4 package (better shocks). If you do nothing else, junk the shocks and put on anything else, your safety, and comfort depend on it. Getting on the interstate for a test drive, without the FX4 package, hit a pot hole under acceleration. Just about put the truck in the ditch. The new truck with the better shocks was hardly phased by the same pot hole test.

Now, on to my experience. I have a Late may build date on my engine, when was yours? Mine has been in shop 4 times in 2500 miles, still engine problems. Seems like computer dosn't talk to well with the engine yet. They keep reflashing computer with newer programs still problems. Stumbles off idle. Also, had to replace an injector already. That was very common on the earlier motors until they changed injector design. Mine has new injectors, but some of them must be bad also. They leak fuel into oil. BAD!!!. Too bad Ford would not have done their homework on this one, they are selling them before they have the bugs worked out. BTW, It is Ford. International has had them in their medium duty trucks working fine, for the past 4 years.

Check out the Ford Truck enthusiasts forum for more info on things to look out for. Huge thread on the 6.0L.

Now, on with the the good stuff. with 12,500 lbs behind me, (fifth wheel and Jeep) It will hold whatever speed I want over the passes. I don't know how many times people have set up to pass me at the bottom of a pass, by the time I hit the top, they are way back there. I have gotten up to 21 mpg empty, and around 10 fully loaded (12-15 with just the trailer).

I will be installing some 285x75x16's mud tires on 16x8 wheels for winter driving. Can't go any bigger because of the fifth wheel. Already, have flipped the axles on the trailer and raised it to the highest positions on the shackles to get it to fit the fords box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode