Have you had your v8 today? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Have you had your v8 today?

Well I located a motor for the TJ today and it's a beut... Out of a Grand Cherokee 1997 rolled with mostly body damage (still driveable if you din't mind a crushed roof). Anyways this was the thought process when I got the 4 banger TJ and this is the motor [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. The picture sucks but here it is...

I am thinking about using the auto from behind it but I need to do some measuring to make sure it is not too long.. If it is I will probably go with a NV3500 from a Dakota or something. I will post some pics when i get it together. I plan to clean it up a little before I drop it in and it might be a couple weeks before I assemble all the needed parts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1184091-motor.jpg (40.1 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Re: Have you had your v8 today?

Nice find,......ya gonna keep the A/C functional,......it really is a nice bonus, especially when the rain comes [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I want to keep the AC... The PO cut the hoses on the AC at the firewall and took out the condensor for some unknown reason. So my TJ is plumbed for AC and has all the electric stuff for it just needs condensor dryer and new hoses. I didn't get the hoses off the guy today. I may go back and get them. The really cool thing is since this is the same year model motor and they are both jeep it looks like most of the wiring is the same. The only harness that I was concerned about is the one that was seperate from the motor (third plug on the computer) that powers the dash and recieves signal from the ignition. It looks like the plug is exactly the same. I am hoping the one from the 4 cylinder harness will run off the v8 computer (man would that be easy). Since it is just ignition and guage stuff i can see why it might work...... I am going to shell out for the AA mounts they are supposed to be indexed to put the v8 exactly where it is supposed to go in a TJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

This is the ONLY person I know, who has a golden horseshoe firmly planted up his a$$. How'z that for luck....
Good score dude....
Ricky...seeya...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

And just when you thought you might be the first to do this swap...

"Elusive's buddy", Sosner (actually lives about a mile from me) is in the middle of the same swap. His TJ-7 is now sporting the V8, 5spd Auto(programmed to for 6 spds?), and AtlasII. I think it's just a matter of connecting all the harnesses to make it fire.

Definitely a good find bro! It should make some serious power [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Maybe we could get the old 4 banger to Jacksonville? Then Pat would have an engine in time for the Dixie Run!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ouch!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

AAAAA I love the 318 in my '98 ZJ... What a great engine! Sounds like an awesome project!

Dave, are you talking about Shawn the Canadian guy with the Silver TJ7? a 6spd, 5 spd Auto huh? did he find te missing gear that Chrysler lost or something????? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Actually I am probably going to have to scrap the auto idea. I sent out some questions to people and those who were kind enough to reply all stated that the auto swap was not worth the work. Apparently you have to pretty much unwire the wreck and rewire all the crap in the new vehicle. It is supposed to be much easier to just use a manual computer and manual tranny.... And Dave there are about 5 webpages I know of dedicated to swappping Dodge V8's into TJ's already so I am not going into this totally blind thankfully.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yep, that's him. Something cheesy, but done thru flashing the computer... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Steve, you may one of the few going with a DC powerplant though. Seems everybody's hung up on the SBC swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode