92 Wrangler Problems (updated) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

92 Wrangler Problems (updated)

I have a 1992 Wrangler with the 2.5L I4, with a 5 spd transmission.

Yesterday I went home, came out a few minutes later and it would not start. It was cranking over but it would not fire. I did notice that on the gauge cluster the volts were not very high (barely over nine, it goes from 9 to 18?).

Later last night I went out to start it and it started right up.

This morning I went to start it and it started but the Oil pressure gauge went off the charts and the check engine light came on.

Last week I changed the oil, put two inline fuses in off the battery, and that was it. Also I have notice some wavering in my Oil Pressure gauge lately but I was figuring the sending unit was going out.

Has anyone had a problem like this, and could you give me some advice on what to look for. If I need to clarify some information I will do my best.

I went home last night and tried to figure out what was wrong with the jeep. The engine sounds fine, but there is a problem.

When the thermostat opens up the idle on the engine drops from 800 or so to 250-300. I can unplug the temp sensor and with in 5 seconds the idle is smooth. With the temp sensor plugged in you can give the engine gas and it will sputter, catch, then rev up. With it unplugged it will immediately respond to the throttle.

If it is a bad temp sensor then why is it causing such a rough idle when it is plugged in, and what does it have to do with the response to the throttle?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:37 PM

Re: 92 Wrangler Problems

On my 90 YJ, the oil guage pegs about 98% of the time (bad sending unit), and the voltage guage (which is what you've got - not amps) reads generally between 10V on a bad day and about 13.5 on a good day...I've checked the battery with a volt meter while the engine is running and it reads 13.9-14V, so the guage is a little wonky...check your grounds and your belts...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: 92 Wrangler Problems (updated)

btt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode