Got water in my dash... turn signal won't stop! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got water in my dash... turn signal won\'t stop!

After my 1998 TJ got a good soaking from a storm, my turn signal "ticker" will keep sounding intermediantly. No signal lights actually come on (interior or exterior), but the ticker sounds. I opened up the steering column dash area and blow-dryed it for hours. Its been about 5 days now... Any advice? Permanent damage?

I pulled, dryed, and reattached at lot of the wires down there...

Thanks,

Sam88Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 PM

Re: Got water in my dash... turn signal won\'t stop!

Are you sure it's the turn signal flasher? Verify by having your finger on it and feeling it as it clicks.

Do the turn signals still work properly when you want them to?

Do the brake lights still work properly when you want them to?

Do the emergency flashers still work properly when you want them to?

There isn't a separate ticker - it's just the sound that the flasher unit makes when it works. (They make extra-loud flashers for folks who forget to turn off their signals. Why don't the Bozos get them?)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Veteran

Trust me,......it'll eventually dry out,......I know from experience. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, everything works fine... turn signal blinks and ticks properly. Brakes lights are fine (pretty sure). It only happens when the turn signal is in the neutral position.

Based off InfantryYJ's advice, I guess I'll deal with it for another couple weeks. I don't want to pull the dash apart a second time if it'll just cure itself. And I guess after a couple weeks I'll have to take a second look if its still doing it.

Thanks all,

Sam88Jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Veteran

If you really want to,......you could go out and buy another flasher, it's circled in the pic,.....it should only cost around $10-15 at the parts store. Triden Stant EP26 is the replacement part.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Billybob015

I had a problem similar to this, only I think my signals were actually affected by it (it wasn't just the clicking noise). I screwed around with them and finally got them to start working right. Then it happened again (same as you - 97TJ got soaked in rainstorm) and the same thing happened. About a month later (I think???) I smelled burning plastic and saw smoke coming from my dash so I pulled it all apart and after thinking about it and smelling around, I finally pulled the turn signal switch from my steering column, which had melted onto the wire harness. I had to clip the connecter off the wire harness because it was no good anymore. So I tried going to Jeep dealership to buy a connecter w/ponytail they only sell the ENTIRE wiring harness (not just the connecter). So I had to go to a Junk yard to clip a good connecter off a similar Jeep (I think it was a Cherokee actually). Bought a new turn signal switch from dealer and everything is alright now. When I was putting the dash back together I put some plastic (off a big heavy duty zip lock bag) over the column which will hopefully keep the water out of there (I think that was what caused it, but I don't know). Hopefully won't happen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode