New guy with a couple questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New guy with a couple questions

Howdy folks I'm in the proccess of doing a engine/tranny swap on my 1960 cj5. This will be the firt conversion I have ever done so I would apprecciate any info (websights,catalogs,ect...) you all could give that would make it easier.

I'm planning to take the little 134 f-head out and replace it with a 4.3L chevy. I'm also thinking about going with a 4-speed muncey tranny and chevy transfercase.

Like I said I don't know much about this stuff but I will learn as I go so here are a few dumb questions I hope you all might be able to help me with.........

Stupid question #1-------- With the chevy running gear will I need to switch to chevy front and rear axles?

#2--------- What would be the best gearing if I do have to switch axles? I currently have 5:38's and I don't want any higher of a gear when I'm in 4 low.

#3---------- With the chevy 4-speed and transfer case how much lower would my gearing be in the granny gear compared to the gearing I have now?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,I hope to have some light shed on my situation soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1183676-scan033.jpg (56.9 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Old Hand

Re: New guy with a couple questions

Welcome to the board. It would help us out thought, if you filled out your profile. For instance, I don't know what you have now for a tranny in order to compare gear ratios. FYI a Chevy t-case is going to be quite a bit heavier than even your model 18 I think. There are no stupid questions, but hopefully this will help.

1. If you find a good np205 or np208 transfer case, you should be able to keep your stock axles (although I think a 208 would be pretty long in a CJ5)

2. Doesn't matter if I'm right on #1

3. I think factory 1st gear right now if you have a 3 speed would be something like 3.44 : 1. With an sm465 (muncie truck 4 speed) 1st is 6.55 : 1 so you'd gain a lot of crawl ratio, although I'm not sure how the Chevy t-case ratio compare your model 18.

Lot's of guys on here that know more about this than me, but that's my $.02
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New guy with a couple questions

You can post over here
www.earlycj5.com goto the forums... they can answer those questions real quick for your early 5.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode