O/T Does anyone take the media seriously? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T Does anyone take the media seriously?

I was just involved in some things that made the paper and local news, and Although I am not in charge of releasing things to the press, I review it prior to going out. It just amazes me what a spin gets put on things. I just wonder how much credit do you give to the media? Do people really believe everything that get's thrown out there?

I have always been a sceptic ie I do not believ it until I can prove it... Comes in handy in my job, but how does the rest of the world react??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:38 PM

Re: O/T Does anyone take the media seriously?

I will believe the media when they all stand up and say they are a pack of liers and the NRA has been right on all counts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was in the new a long time ago, and I couldn't believe how much miss information was printed. Outright lies. I don't think anyone realizes it until it happens to them. Now I have a hard time believing anything they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 06:17 PM
CJ5_1965

I worked as a news photographer for a short while, and learned about the process. I rarely ever felt the reporter's account was accurate, and often joked to friends that I had taken pictures of the wrong event, because the one I was photographing was very different than the one that was reported on. Sometimes the reporters never even showed up to the event, and reported as if they had. They would often rely on 3rd hand information.

But, to be honest - On most topics, I don't care enough to think for myself, and often believe newscasts and columns without question. Without the 'opposing viewpoint', it is just easier to blindly believe what is being shovelled in our direction. It's a sad realization, and something I should change...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 06:20 PM

For the most part I'm a skeptic. There was a story a while ago locally that a friend of mine was in, and the interview was chopped up and re-edited and put a whole different slant on what my friend had said. It seems like most of the media-types have a slant of a story in mind and go about proving their point, rather than the truth. Who else remembers the Chevy truck episode on 20/20?

Ken Linzmeyer
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:23 PM

If you really want to see how bad the media is check out this book....its an outstanding read and exposes the media and its bias

Coloring the News
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:24 PM

I recently took a mass media class at the university I am attending and was amazed at what I learned. You absolutly can not believe what you read or watch on TV. The media, just like almost everything else, is very very heavily pursuaded by corporate interests. CNN CSPAN CBS ABC ...... Are all owned by corporations how are owned by, or own, other corporations whose best interests they always look out for. When watching the news or reading the paper you must always ask yourself who is saying this and whose best interest are they serving. Very few news sources are not funded by a different group. This doesn't only take place on a national level, but all the way down to your local news. Look at the BBC website and see how an outside party reports our news, they are way more reliable to give the truth then CNN.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

I read/watch/listen to all media w/ a critical (and very skeptical) mind. Most all the media organizations are owned by the same vermin (or category thereof); and, most I have nothing or little in common w/.

I was involved in a supposedly 'news worthy' event some time back that held me in negative light (alleged event[s] trumped up, circumstances completely beyond my control). Newspaper report slanted strongly 'anti-me'; article stated I had been called but had no comment. Ha! The reporter called and left message on machine a couple of hours before article went to press; no comment my eye! Local/regional TV splashed my mug all over the 6 and 11:00 news report, reporting in similiar negative light. Many gross inaccuracies in reports.

Then, once vindicated/exonerated/cleared in a hostile forum, the newspaper never printed a word. Local TV reported my vindication as a 'surprise outcome'!

The media? While I was never as skeptical as before the above event, I believe VERY little now. Ruining and humilation of folks through supposedly neutral reporting, yet relying on the sensationalization of non-events is the only way they know. It's all about market share and selling ad time/space to make more money and increase their personal income and grandeur.

The media and most associated therewith are pathetic. Anyone w/ any ethics or morals, involved w/ their biased reporting, would find a more honest profession.

Sorry for the soapbox, but this thread hit a nerve that is still raw. This is my first opportunity to vent on this issue. Thanks for the opportunity.

R/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Reporters are mostly idiots.
I was watching the news conference from Chicago a few minutes ago about Gov. O'Bannon. At least a dozen reporters asked the exact same question, sometimes worded diferently but still the same question, and they all got the exact same answer. "It's too soon to tell". Oh wait a minute, I'm a better reporter than the last person, if I ask the same stupid question, I'll bet the doctor will magically understand and have an answer for me.
Also, ever since Watergate, everybody wants to be the next Woodward or Bernstein and turn the world on it's ear. It doesn't seem to matter if the story is worthy of printing or even true.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Jerry, I hear ya brother. I felt the same way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode