O/T - Garage Air Compressor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

O/T - Garage Air Compressor

I saved money to buy an air compressor, but since my experience with air tools is limited I am not sure what to get. I saw bunch of wheeled compressors at HD and OSH (ones that you plug into AC) but I am not sure what to get. I am looking for opinions and advice of size (gallons) and working pressure needed for garage use (I don't think I need a monster but I don't wan wimpy one either). Anything else I should look for in an air compressor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:55 PM

Re: O/T - Garage Air Compressor

Stay away from Cambell Hawsfield (Spll???)

Quite frankly they suck... not blow..

A buddy of mine has one and we spent a good 1/2 hour.. (it's got a 8 or so gallon tank.) airing up 4 32/10.5s

They were at 8lbs and we were going to 30..

It just took forever to fill, and definitely wasn't at the 120lbs it said it was.

oh.. and it was brand new.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:00 PM

IF you are going to run air tools and want it to last a long time....save up. I have had several 110v small POS air compressors. Fine for airing up bike tires but not much else IMHO. Always waiting for them to "catch up" and replacing them every few years. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Some of the best money I've spent was on my 8hp 2 stage compressor w/ 80 gal. tank. Looked hard.....bought it used....bought it right. Works like a dream. (came from an old shop I worked at) So if you want a good one don't scrimp. I couldn't ask for anything better than what I have.

(and BTW they are $$$$$ new.........but mine was 100 at an auction [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I bought mine out of a scrap yard for 20.00 put a 60.00 220v motor on it, and I am pretty happy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:58 AM

I've got a 25 gallon upright 5hp craftsman. It has done just fine for 95% of the stuff I do. NOISY as heck though.

It cannot keep up with continuous duty die grinder or D/A sander. That's about it. It was about $225 some years ago.

If I had to do it over now, I would get the new craftsman 175PSI upright professional with I think 7-9 hp. I only remember that it was $500. not including 10% craftsman club discount. If you order off catalog during crafsman club, you don't have to pay tax and you get the 10% off. Shipping costs, but not as much as tax.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 10:46 AM

I have a 5hp (110/220V.) 25 gallon unit that works well You have a little lag time on continuous duty stuff like air ratchets and grinders but on the most part it works very well. This is an older Cambell Hausfeld oil type unit.

My experiance is that the oiless units are very noisy and not very reliable. i would suggest to stay away from them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:05 AM

GP'n - I second that, the oil-less unit is noisier and I have heard less reliable. I wish I would have gotten oil-ed.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

I agree, go with an oil lubed compressor. They are designed for continueos operation. Thus quiter, more output, and longer lasting.

Also, be aware, compressor ratings are very misleading. There is no such animal as a 5hp 110v air compressor. In-rush, or start-up current may equal 5hp, but the power to pump air, is limited to about 2hp. Remember, all these smaller units need to operate on a 115v, 15A outlet. So, ignore all the hype on HP and compare CFM output @90 psi, or some other meaningful number.

If money is tight, get yourself a 10.2 CU.inch York, a tank, a large 2hp elec. motor, some pulleys, switches, and build yourself one.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 04:15 PM

I have a craftsman professional 25 gal. upright. - no complaints. Totally quite, 175 max P.S.I. I run all my air tools off it. Just use a good water trap and drain you tank periodically. Mine runs off 110 and it's never been an issue, had it for 2 1/2 years....no problems. ( knock on wood ) [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:40 PM

Just my .02, but I was also recently considering a garage compressor and ultimately decided against it in favor of finally installing my on-board air set-up. A good quality oil bathed garage compressor easily runs over 500 bucks, and if you plan to run air tools that's exactly what you need. Anything less and you are just throwing money away IMHO. An on-board york set-up will give you an engine run, oil bathed compressor with enough cfm's to run tools...all in a portable package. If your on-board tank is a little small you can always obtain a larger garge sized tank and use your york in conjuncion with that....ie instead of airing up a tire you air up a large tank. Just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode