Bigugly..what's up w/ the Edelbrock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Bigugly..what\'s up w/ the Edelbrock

Now that I'm convinced that my Q-Jet is trash, I'm looking at this Edelbrock.

Look at the long narrow float bowls and look at the way the floats hinge. It seems to me that when on an incline the gas in the bowl will all move to the back and the floats will hinge down allowing gas to keep on filling the bowl. It seem to me (and I don't know Jack about carbs) that this design doesn't allow much tolerance for inclines and declines. How are the new needles and seats different? How do they help this issue or is this just something that I'm not understanding and isn't really a problem?
When you did the off-road kit did you block the passage between the two bowls in the back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:15 PM
JohnN

Re: Bigugly..what\'s up w/ the Edelbrock

Edlebrock carbs are true POS's on the trail. I bought one, spent time and $ on it, never could get it right. Get another Q-jet or go fuel injection. I've done all 3 options. The Edlebrock was the worst, by far, the FI was the best.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I ordered the off-road kit for the E-Brock at about 2:00 p.m. today. It will be in tomorrow morning. At about 6:00 p.m. I got the Rochester running (thanks RRich). So tomorrow I will install the kit and perform an experiment to see which of these carbs can idle at a higher incline.

I'm thinking......maybe.....raise the front w/ the winch..tied to a tree. Anyone have another suggestion on how to get the fron end up? I don't know that I have a very good tree for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I can say i like my Edelbrock. If you are talking bout the performer series, i have a 500 CFM on my buick V6. Ran tellico with it, and once i got the floats dialed up it ran real good. The edelbrock is very very simple to work on, not many parts at all. Get the spring needle kits, and the calibration kit, and you should be good to go. And it will take a bit of time to "Dial it in" but i think it is worth it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Danstew,
When you did the off-road kit did you block the passage between the two bowls in the back? I've heard of people doing this, did you?

Also where did you set your floats? Do you remember the measurements?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I didnt modify anything for the carb, it may have been modifyied, i got mine used, but i had it all apart, and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. As for the float levels, i had my buddy set them. I had them set for what the calibration book called for, but it flooded.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Way Outta Control

Yes, blocking the rear passage at the back on an AFB helps with sidehills. Helps keep the upside bowl from draining into the lower one. But it could cause uneven fuel distribution on hard acceleration uphill or even on flats. Notice the fuel inlet feeds one side, then it depends on the crossover passages to fill the other side. So during a hard load the opposite side may experience a lack of fuel, so every other cylinder in the firing order will go lean.
You won't feel it as a missfire, just not get as much power as you should.
An intake maniflod with a common plenum chamber (or milled out between the chambers) helps that problem significantly, but that also makes for a rougher idle and possible "tip in" stumbe. It's not a cure, it still goes lean, but the lean cylinders get a little more fuel, and the normal ones get leaner. So bigger jets help.

The AFB's floats are end pivoted, so uphill, or hard acceleration the fuel sloshes to the rear, dropping the float and bringing in more fuel. Not a problem as long as it's not too much - keep the float about 3/16" lower than the specs call out.
With the rear passage blocked off, the front passage is too high to transfer much fuel to the opposite side.
Going downhill fuel sloshes forward, shutting down fuel flow because of the float pivoted on the end. Sometimes going down a sandy hill you need power to straighten it out, ooops, engine's dead. Can get scarey when you get sideways bad.

The Q-Jet's floats are pivited more centrally, so hills are less troublesome -- but they still experience the same problems, just takes more angle to get in trouble.

Holleys are fine on sidehills IF they are the center-feds. But up and down hills they suck. Use jet extensions to get the jets to suck from the center of the bowl. And, use the vent extension (white whistle) inside as well as the external vent extensions.

Somewhere a long time ago I saw an article on using an aircraft stunt carburetor -- all positions - neat. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything about it since. Anybody know?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

Quadrajet carbs are junk- all of them...

I went through three or four on my '71 cutlass and they all sucked, even the $500 one that I had a $200 professional rebuild job done on. I went with a $200 Edelbrock performer and it worked awesome. We also use performers on our boat's twin 302's and they work great as well. I can't speak for working on inclines though, I'm curious if the off-road kit works on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode