Convert CJ5 no tailgate to tailgate??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Convert CJ5 no tailgate to tailgate???

My 75 CJ5 appears to have come from the factory with no tailgate. The PO has welded a bunch of tube across the back for some reason. I am wondering if there is any way to convert to tailgate without replacing the whole tub. I have done the search and all I saw was a CJ-YJ Tailgate conversion.

Are there structure differences in the tub and what would I have to do to compensate?

Thanks in advance oh knowledgeable jeepsters of wisdom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Convert CJ5 no tailgate to tailgate???

It ain't gonna be easy no matter what you do. My best suggestion would be to get a section cut from the rear of a tailgate tub and graft it in. Might check with Jim Lou about the tub he has for sale and see if he will cut it out for you. Since you only need about 2" around the opening, shipping should not be a huge problem. The opening edges are real close to the wheel wells so you've got that problem to deal with.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 08:56 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just curious... but WHY would you want to do this? My CJ5 had a tailgate from the factory, and all it did was rattle!! I was a little easier to load HEAVY items. But that was a rare occassion. I'd advise you to keep the full panel. I'm much happier with the closed of back of my fiberglass tub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 08:59 PM

Tailgate tubs have a full box running laterally under the tailgate, and about 3" wider on each side. I don't know if non-gate tubs have it or just an angle support.

Outside of that it's just regular sheetmetal body work, but a lot of it, and it won't be easy to get everything to fit right. And you'll have to make attachments for the support cables.

If your 5 doesn't have the toolbox under the passenger seat floor, it's the same as a 7 back there, so you should be able to look at any late-model CJ to see how they're constructed.

The non-gate tubs are considerably stronger in back. When I took the rollbar off my tub the fenders sagged outward due to rust damage weakening the box under the tailgate. And everything else, I guess.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:52 PM

I hadn't thought of cutting that portion out of my old tub, but I'll be glad to do it if you want to try. It's not too badly rusted except for the floor an inch in front of the opening - that's gone. Too bad I already traded the tailgate for a case of Guinness.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 11:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I think that was a GREAT trade!!!!!

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Well, as to why: I just feel that the back would be easier to get in and out of with a tail gate. I have been reading a lot of Herculiner, Duraback, etc. tub coating writeups and thinking about doing mine. The tailgate seems to make it easier for that too.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I agree good trade! I have a friend who lives in Dublin and he is the Brewmaster at a Guiness brewery! Funny thing is, he doesn't drink [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Anyway, after reading everyones responses, I am thinking I am better off without the tailgate.

Thanks for everyones input. You guys are the greatest.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:18 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

This is actually something I had put a lot of thought into before you even posted it. I was wanting to do the same thing, but I've got an aftermarket fiberlgass tub. My CJ-5 doesn't have any locks on the soft doors (duh) so I was thinking of building a non-locking tail gate. Here's how my plan went down..........

1. Cut out a reasonable sized chunk of the body to use as the opening.
2. Support the remaning fiberglass with some 1x1 square tubing welded together and bolted to the body in places that would provide support.
3. Get a peice of black anodized diamond plate (personal color choice...matches top) and have it cut slightly wider than the opening I had cut, and slightly taller than the opening.
4. On one side use YJ/TJ hinges and on the other a cam-lock or something that would hold it all tight.
5. Use some weather stripping along the side and bottom edge of the tail gate to reduce rattling.
6. Re-use the old channel for my best top, and mount it on the new tail gate so when I put it all together its weather resistant.
7. Have myself a new fangled swing out tail gate.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:30 AM

Drat! I thought I was going to get rid of some junk. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode