Center of Gravity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 12:07 PM
JeepinVA

Center of Gravity

I am trying to convince my dad to allow me to lift my TJ and he is concerned with the fact that raising it will increase the center of gravity and make it very unstable. I was planning on getting a 4.5 extreme duty RE lift and 33s. anyone who has a similar set up and might be able to tell me how much difference between stock and lift the on road driving is would be of great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 02:07 PM

Re: Center of Gravity

Your Dad is right - 4 1/2" is a lot for a street vehicle. Plus, once it's up that high, it will look silly with stock tires, so the next thing you'll want is bigger donuts. That will raise the C/G more. The big tires will want lower pressure, and that makes them squishy, and allows the CG to shift to the outside in a turn.

The combination is certainly driveable on the street, but it will take the cornering power and stability under heavy braking back about 25 years. If you do it, make sure your roll cage is up to snuff, and don't even think about twisting the key until your belt is clicked.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 04:21 PM
JeepinVA

it is not only for street use but that is the only aspect that concerns my dad would a 3.5 be able to fit 33s with off road use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Let me chime in here...
2. Why the heck do you want a high lift like that?
3. Unless you're an experienced driver,
4. This type of modification will kill you right quickly.
5. Do yourself a favor... listen the advice the Big Dogs are givin' ya...
6. Don't argue an inch here or an inch there...
7. So you've got a TJ...that's fine, but keep it stock for a while.
8. Learn to drive it responsibly,
9. On the street,
10. And on the trail.
11. Then once you've learned to handle the rig,
12. Start planning the modifications you want to make,
13. That suit the conditions you'll be driving under...
14. There's nothing worse that a highly modified Jeep,
15. With an ignorant driver behind the wheel.
16. The jeep then becomes a weapon, not a ride...
17. And it's aimed straight at the driver if you're lucky,
18. And at others if you're not.
19. Driving a Jeep's 90% driver, 10% rig.
20. I may sound like an old Fart here...
21. That's because I am...
23. That's the moral here... I've lived to tell about it,
24. And pass my Jeep on to my Grandchildren.
25. I just wish you the same...
26. IMHO... you're dad's more 'n right...
26. Just don't make him dead right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:08 PM

Put me squarely in the Old Fart school with Leve. And darn proud to be there, too.

A bone stock TJ will do amazing stuff off road. You'll be a lot better off in the long run, and short run too, if you learn how to make it work to its full capacity. Lift and tires is no substitute for driving ability and experience.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I know this isn't TJ related, but my CJ has 2.5" lift and 31's and my Jeep is WAYYYYY more capeable than I am. It will be a few years before I'm saying to myself "Self, you need a bigger Jeep". Leave it stock, put some more agressive tires on it and some sway bar disco's and go wheelin' with a buddy. You will learn alot and work your way UP to needing more tire/lift.

Live and Learn...instead of just learning.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
A bone stock TJ will do amazing stuff off road

[/ QUOTE ]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Leave it stock, put some more agressive tires on it and some sway bar disco's

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went wheeling for the first time last weekend with my STOCK TJ. I have some nice 31x10.50 mud tires on it and no other mods (yet). As I looked at the first hill all covered with rocks I thought, "No way". But right up I went. As the day went on I was more and more amazed at the stock rigs ability.
Like you, I want more and bigger, but for now I'm content to learn the craft and then, after I've used these tires up, I'll go bigger and badder.
As for the disco's, I just replaced the evil torx bolts with Grade 8, 7/16" hex heads that I can get some decent wrenches on. 5 minutes and two zip-ties and they're secure and out of the way.
Get out there and enjoy what you have, then decide what you want. Heck, you might end up wanting to spend that lift money on lockers instead, depending on the type of wheeling you like the best.
Good luck and enjoy.
Jim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 10:02 PM

I had the same problem, but before I even got my Jeep. My dad always told me I couldn't have one because the high center of gravity. And guess what I ended up with, he brought it home from work one day from a guy that was selling it and I bought it. As long as you don't drive it like a sports car on the street it would be fine. Just take every turn alot slower.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I do not know how you wheel, but amaizingly i feel myself in the old farts catagory again. Are you having problems bottoming out off road? or is it more cosmetic? As for center of gravity they don't handle great stock, so every inch you go up will cause further issues.

I am at 3" and the only reason I am going bigger is because my 32" tires rub ever so slightly on my fenders when crammed tight..

I wish I did not need to go higher, because driving 40 miles a day to work, can get old when trying toi stay between the lines..

End answer yes the center of gravity is effected.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

As everyone else has mentioned you center of gravity will be affected. Rule of thumb is every inch you go up you need to go out an inch and half to each side. This equation will keep you as close to stock specks as possible...So lets do the math 4.5x1.5=6.75, now figure 33's figure are what about 4 inches taller than your stock 225's so...4x1.5=6. So 6+6.75=12.75 inches that you must go out to keep it as stable as it is in stock form. You would need wider axles to do this as to my knowledge they don't make a wheel with 6inches of off-set. So now that I've rambled on with math...I'm going to agree with the old farts(even though I'm still young enough to be a toot in the breeze). Keep it stock get some better tires and make some quick disco's. Get it out wheelin she'll tell you what she needs. Experience is what will get you to the other end of the trail, the Jeep only helps along the way.
John
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode