Help! Reversed Nutter bypass and Jeep won't start! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help! Reversed Nutter bypass and Jeep won\'t start!

This may be one of the most elborate questions ever posted and I appreciate your patience and any help that can be offered.

:^>

Long story short: I did the Nutter bypass on my 85CJ/258 about three years ago, after passing the smog test in MD. Eventually I replaced the Carter with a Weber and removed all the smog plumbing.

After putting off the smog police for as long as I could I reinstalled all the stuff--including the Carter BBD--and rewired the ignition.

Now it won't start.

The Nutter bypass is basically three wires different from factory and is pretty simple to reverse. I was sure to keep all wires at the ready just in case I was ever going to do this.

I went so far as to pull the plug from the computer and test to make sure that all circuits are going to where they are supposed to go. There is continuity between all points: computer, dist, ignition. And it just won't start. I went through most of the dignostics and the computer seems operational.

When I put the Nutter bypass config back it starts right up. So, It's not the distributor, it's not the ignition unit...

Any ideas? A few possible clues are three dangling connectors that, for the life of me, I cannot remember what they hook up to. They are all located directly behind the carb and I took pictures and have them posted here:

http://homepage.mac.com/cmancusi/jee...eep_wires.html

You can click on them for a larger view [I told ya this was elaborate]
:^]

I went through every box, shelf, drawer in my house to find some misc part that I've neglected to hook up and can't find anything.

Can anyone identiry those wires? I will grant Godlike status to anyone who can!

Sincere thanks in advance!!!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 03:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help! Reversed Nutter bypass and Jeep won\'t start!

did you remember to turn the mixture needles back out when you reinstalled the carter? i wouldnt worry about the plugs if it ran with the weber and they weren't plugged in. mine has the same red wire behind the carb too. if the carb is working right maybe its the computer??

good luck,

mjXIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode