YJ to CJ Dash Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

YJ to CJ Dash Swap

Has anyone else done this and can give a few pointers before I attempt. I did find this article on line which did a good job of describing the swap... although I'm still a little fuzzy on the defrost ducting. Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated and at least give me a real person to PM questions directly.

dash swap
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/dash.htm

As always, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:06 PM
MNT
Addict

Re: YJ to CJ Dash Swap

Yeah, I am semi-interested in doing that as well. I actually e-mailed the author of that article but never heard back. Although I am not surprised as it is a pretty old article. I think when you take the old dash off, it will make more sense, I just haven't done that. Of course with my 2 year old, I haven't done much jeep-wise, except sit in it with her.

let us know how it turns out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:42 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hi guys,
Boy, been a loooooong time since I've been here. Jeepchick and I bought a house, I graduated grad school, etc., etc.

I am the author of that article, and I'm glad it's still inspiring people to do this swap. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Email me at [email protected] and I can respond more easily -- I haven't checked the compuserve account in a long time, unfortunately. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The defrost is nothing more than a piece of aluminum stock that's machined to have a deflector in it, and it mounts to the top of the dash. I do have some scanned pics of it, but it was 2 or 3 computers ago (yes, that was a while back wasn't it). I will answer any questions that I can.

Good luck - it's a great swap and very rewarding, in my opinion.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:48 PM

I have a useable CJ dash and glove box door one can have for the shipping costs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:02 PM

does this dash have all of the gauges and such in it. if so I want it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:13 PM

It has the speedo cluster only - speedo with 78K miles, temp, gas, and indicator lights. Oil pressure and volts went into my new panel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ive also done this.. well i put a cj dash into a yj tub.. with a yj windshield frame.. but this was a frame up build ... so i didnt transfer the guages.. i used all cj stuff.. since that is what i had around..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Cool, I'm greatful for the pages that you guys have made over the years telling the do's and don'ts of your mods. This one is exceptionally detailed and I'm almost ready to do it myself. I will probably PM you and JeepGod with some specific questions. Since I'm changing out the whole front clip to a CJ7 I would love to incorporate the CJ dash I've already got. The gauges and controls are my first big concern obviously. Thanks for the offer for help. You'll both hear from me soon.... (taken as a promise, not a threat).

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

im also running a yj frame with a cj front clip.. and yj tub.. i dont think the cj clip just lines up.. you can bolt it right up.. but i dont think they line up perfect.. hard to tell with my tub.. since it has front end damage.. so mine obviously is out of alignment.. but after talking with others.. and really looking things over.. i think the yj grille is about 1/2" shorter than a cj grille.. so that is where the problem might be.. you could try a smaller bushing under the grille.. or slightly raising the front of te tub.. hopefully some time in the future ill get another tub.. that will bolt up correctly
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:54 AM
MNT
Addict

I just remembered, somebody else made a custom dash out of stainless or aluminum and posted some pics. Had a nice rounded instrument cluster behind the wheel. Really nice work. I couldn't find it on a search. Maybe somebody else has it bookmarked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode