Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Trying to wire up an alternator on a Flatty!!! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/175772-trying-wire-up-alternator-flatty.html)

SilentBob2 09-05-2003 04:14 PM

Trying to wire up an alternator on a Flatty!!!

Im trying to figure out what I need to do here. I have a 51 M38 flatty with a stock motor and Ive now got the brackets fabbed up and alternator on. Im using a GM 3 wire alternator because I have a few laying around. Now I need to know what wires go where. Has anyone here done this before. I done one on a Toyota FJ40 for my brother inlaw but I cant seem to find the wire diagram for it that we used. I don't know if I would call it a diagram, it just said hook this color to this and that to that.....

DanStew 09-05-2003 04:43 PM

Re: Trying to wire up an alternator on a Flatty!!!

Dex 09-05-2003 05:13 PM

is it possible to run a gm 3 wire with only the big red wire (bat) connected? im running amp gauge???

SilentBob2 09-05-2003 10:23 PM

Hey Dan Stew!! I cant get that page to load for me. Do you use Net Scape to view it?

SilentBob2 09-05-2003 10:27 PM

Never mind, I got it!!

WILL 09-09-2003 01:09 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
is it possible to run a gm 3 wire with only the big red wire (bat) connected?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

DanStew 09-09-2003 04:21 PM

Yup I use netscape.

Goto www.earlycj5.com and got othe forums, sign up and enjoy it, and do a post looking for me, or PM me and i can give you the link over there. I have the same screen name there.

SilentBob2 09-09-2003 05:18 PM

Thanx for the help Dan!!! I got it all together now and wired up, Just having a hard time getting the dang thing to start again. It's been sitting for six months now, Im thinking new battery time now so I can see if its going to work.....

lindy80cj7 09-09-2003 07:11 PM

Why not convert it to a one wire alternator? I've done it to boats, jeeps and tractors.

SilentBob2 09-11-2003 07:20 PM

Why not a one wire??? Because I have several of these GM 3 wires laying around and need to use them on something... My dad use to run an impound and I grabbed a lot of parts and stuff that I might need before he sold the cars to the salvage yards...