Winter tires - 33 x 9.5 m/s?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Winter tires - 33 x 9.5 m/s??

Currently running heavily worn 33x12.5 BFG M/T's. Am looking for some winter tires. I'm geared and speedo and is set up for 33's. I'm looking at various all terrain designs for some winter traction and directional stability. Our local goodyear has "Star" Trail Mark M+S's in 33 x 9.5 x15's. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on this tire or any thing else I should be looking at. I was disappointed that Goodyear MTR's are not available in tall and narrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 12:01 PM

Re: Winter tires - 33 x 9.5 m/s??

I'm running the Trail mark 33x 9.50 on my 5. I like them a lot. I've only run them on ice a couple times and they were far better than I expected (especially on the 5). I like them very well as an overall tire, but I'll be honest and admit I don't drive my jeep in the winter so I've never had them in the snow.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

any reviews on the BFG 33x9.5 All terrains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:10 PM

I can't comment on the A/T's but a buddy of mine has the M/T's in that size on his 79 F-150 and drives it year round with no complaints, as a matter of fact, he swears by these tires on and off-road.HTH
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have BFG AT's in the aforementioned size. They've performed very well in very deep snow (up to 24"+ last winter). The narrow footprint gives enough ground pressure so can dig in quite well. I can see no need for an MT just for snow ...the AT does a superb job IMHO.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Just to let you all know that I went with the 33x9.5 BFG A/t's on some 8" wide black steel daytona rims. The improvement in traction on ice and glazed over hard packed snow is significant over the 33 x 12.5 muds. I think these are going to be the ticket for winter street driving. I've maintained the clearance, and improved the handling and traction. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

A great tire IMO. The only thing that I didn't like was the price (about $600 plus change for the state). If I'm correct ..you paid the same (BFG price fixing scam). I may try Laramie TrailCutter APs(AT) that I can get for $92 each unmounted next time this comes up. I have a set of the RTs(MT) on my SE and I'll see how they do this winter. Beyond handling characteristics, my only question is how long they last. My BFGs look like they'll last around 60K or more (still have 13/32 @ 32k).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Veteran

I ran this size in BFG MT on my CJ-7 which is gone now sniff. They were great in deep soft snow, mud, and ice but not so good on packed snow machine trails where wider tires floted and I broke through. I would definatly run them again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I cannot speak exactly to that tire, But the BFG AT tires are great in snow. I have a set on the wife's awd explorer. even with the 5.0 the only way I could get the tires to loose signifigant traction was to bind it hard in a corner or just floor it sitting still. Normal driving on snow they are better than my BFG MT tires. The signifigant weight diffrence could have some to do with that. It seems like the MT's throw and dig allot of snow where as the AT tires just seem to pack it down.

Only beef about the at tires is that they seem to have developed a hard spot and it causes alot of vibration, but she has 70,000_+ on them. Hard to believe, but I will probably buy her another set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode