Need to know what auto fits? AMC v-8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need to know what auto fits? AMC v-8

Ok, unfortunately I am having a lot of trouble getting my T-18 to work properly and have decided to ditch it and go with an auto (my wife says so). I need to know what auto will fit behind an AMC 360 and dana 300. I realize I might need an adapter, but just let me know the possible combos.
Is a TH400 4x4 the same as all TH400 4x4 trans?
Is the 727 4x4 the same as all the 727 4x4 trans?
As a final note, I have a rebuilt (less than 10,000 miles) TH700R that was from a corvette (so it's a 2x4). Anyway to use that or am I better off (cheaper) to go with a TH400. Plus is the TH400 more durable in the end?
Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Need to know what auto fits? AMC v-8

You could also go with a TF6(999), aka the A904, Chrysler's version of the non-overdrive 3 speed auto. I'd also look into a TH350 before the 400 simply because the TH350, lockout version, gets the horses to the wheels more efficiently than a 400 and it is much shorter so there is no problem with driveline angles. Not to mention TH350s are a dime a dozen and easily built for high performance, and [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] relatively inexpensive on the upgrades.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

whats wrong with the t18???

for an auto.. id use a tf 727 from a grand wagoneer.. the full size version.. it will bolt to the 360.. and the d300 will bolt up to it... it has to be an amc tf727.. since the bolt patterns are not all the same.. with this combo.. your front drive shaft will be close if not hitting the tranny pan... if you have like 4" of lift.. no problems.. if not.. you can try a clocking ring.. or some pan modifications.. or a jointed front driveshaft.. from high angle driveline..
all th400's are not the same.. only the amc version has the amc bolt pattern.. to the engine..
if you use that 4x2 tranny... you'll need atleast an adapter on the rear to mate up any kind of transfer case.. unless you divorce mounted... and you have ten tons of room to do this with.. plus a 700r will require an engine adaptor.. and transfer case adapter.. both big bucks.. same way with the th350/th400...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:57 PM

man, most folks would love to have that T18!

what is giving the problems about it?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have bought too much to get the T-18 to work and it still isn't working right. Problems with the slave cylinder, now I took it around the block and it is making a weird noise and I can not pinpoint it to the transfer case or the trans right now.
Anyone want to trade. I will pull all the stuff with the T-18 for a top notch auto. The t-18 may need a rebuild or the x-case may need a rebuild.
I also have new in the box set of crawler gears for the dana 20.I guess I will call around today for a 727 for a grand wagon.
Thanks for the info on the trans guys. I just knew you could help. It is too bad about the T-18 not working out for me. If I had more time and money and time and a little more money I'm sure I could get the NV4500 and atlasII to work for me. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Anyway thanks again. My wife is happier now that it will have an auto also, she will get to drive it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Old Hand

PM'd ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode