OT - Shotgun Purchase Options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT - Shotgun Purchase Options

So, I'm thinking of purchasing....okay, I want....a good solid shotgun for skeet and trap with a small bit of hunting thrown in for good measure.

I'd prefer to be cheap! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I don't have the finances to buy a high end gun.

I've shot with Winchester 1300 and an Ithaca M37 (really liked that latter one!). Any advice on what to look for etc...?

Thanks,
Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Addict

Re: OT - Shotgun Purchase Options

You can't go wrong with the Remington 870. It's available in many different configurations and very reliable. Smooth action, well balanced, overall a great utility gun. My father owns one and it's a real sweet piece.

My Ithaca 37 automatic on the other hand, which I inherited from my grandfather, is a real finiky beast. Nice gun, but I hate having to shoot magnum loads in it all the time. Anything less gets jammed upon ejection.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Always hear people that own a Benelli are pretty dang happy with their purchase....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Go for the shotgun that best fits you. B/c shotguns are pointed and not aimed, fitment is critical.

1) You want a gun that easily mounts to your shoulder (stock not too long - IMHO most standard factory stocks are excessively long for the average shooter [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]).

2) Once mounted, and w/ your cheek resting naturally on the stock, your shooting eye should be looking straight down the barrel.

3) Do 'the mount' w/ eyes closed and once you have a comfortable cheekweld on the stock, open your eyes to check how your eye is aligned w/ barrel.

4) Ensure you are wearing the same clothes (to include outerwear) that you'll likely wear when shooting. A thick sweater, jacket or stiff canvas hunting jacket will make a big difference in your 'mount' and fitment. If you buy your shotgun wearing a t-shirt, you're going to end up wondering why the butt keeps getting hung up in your armpit when mounting in hunting situation. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

5) The only way to figure this out is to get yourself into a gunshop w/ a good selection of shotguns and try them all.

Personally, the Ithaca is my personal shotgun of choice. In fact, I prefer my Ithaca 37(s) over my HK, Benelli Super 90, and Remington 870. Lightweight for ease of carrying on long days afield, but does not kick like a horse.

Go Ithaca if it fits. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

Also, if a multi-use shotgun (skeet/trap and field) is desired, go for the screw-in chokes vice the fixed choke. (Do NOT let anyone talk you into buying an older, used Ithaca w/ that confounded, ugly-as-a-troll, PolyChoke on the end of the barrel! Uggh!) [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

W/ all due respect, the Ithaca Model 37 is a pump action - not auto. (Though... on the older models you can hold the trigger down and it will keep firing as long as you pump it... ('til magazine runs dry).

mbalbritton: You're right about the Benelli being a sweet shotgun... But, I returned to my Ithaca 37 in 16ga. for upland bird & bunny hunting. Fits better. Plus, Benelli's are a mite pricey last I checked.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MarineOpLaw,

I'm guessing by your handle that you've had plenty of time behind the trigger.

I loved that Ithaca, and would get one in an instant if it fit. My father-in-law shoots disturbingly well at skeet and trap ever since getting trained by a professional. He said the same about fitment.

What's options/construction should I look for or avoid?

Thanks again!

Fritz
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I like this thread. In fact I've been wanting to buy a shotgun for a couple years now and I keep coming back to the Remington 870. Everything I see makes it out to be the Jeep of shotguns. Its rugged, its durable, its got lots of aftermarket support, and its well known. Best of all it can be had for as low as $250 new. Now its not the best skeet gun out there, but it does an aweful lot and is easily adaptable. I guess I've already got my mind made up, good luck with your purchase.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Addict

My apologies. My Ithaca is an automatic, however not a model 37. It is an older model though, probably 27-28 years old. Sorry for the inaccuracies. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nick I thought you liked bigger guns than a little ol' shot gun?[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1181018-Big_Gun.jpg (42.5 KB, 1 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Hehehe! I'd like to see someone take out a clay pigeon with a Barrett .50!

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode