OT - Shotgun Purchase Options - Page 4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 12:53 PM
skiddy

Re: OT - Shotgun Purchase Options

I've been enjoying these posts! Fritz, you have been given excellent advice all the way down the line. My two cents, the 870 is a better gun than the Mossberg, also with higher resale, but that doesn't make the Mossberg a bad choice.

The 1187 is a great firearm! Don't buy the 3 1/2", as it won't cycle light skeet or dove loads, but it is a great deer/waterfowl/turkey gun.

To whoever asked about the Browning A5 price, $450 is a steal! I'll buy it if your friend doesn't. That gun could bring as much as $750, depending...

Please follow the gun fitment advice, and also take either the NRA safety course, and take a hunter safety course, which is offered in every state, check with your state fish & game agency.

Here's my contribution to these posts: Consider a 20 gauge. I have done a substantial amount of shooting, and have had the opportunity to fire many different types of firearms. If you are buying a primarily skeet gun, go with a 20g. It will be much easier on your shoulder. The more comfortable you are, the longer you can stay on the range. And it will do everything you need for hunting. All my deer hunting has been w/ a 12g, but thats because I owned 12s before I bought a 20. I have seen many deer taken with a 20g, so I wouldn't hesitate to take it deer hunting. My 20 is used for all my small game and bird hunting, and it is the only gun I take to the skeet range. If you can find an old Remington 1100 in 20gauge for a reasonable price that fits you, I personally think you would be very happy.

For what its worth, here are my personal favorites:
pump: Remington 870 Wingmaster or old Winchester mod 12(pricey!)
semi: Remington 1100/1187 (for the price of Benelli semis, which are great, I'd rather buy an O/U)
O/U: Browning Citori. I have shot red labels and Berettas, and if someone gave me either, I'd immediately sell it. In my personal opinion, the Citori is the only O/U worth owning. But let me qualify that. It has nothing to do with quality. The Citori fits me like it was made just for me. Fitment of your gun is where its at.

Have a gunsmith or firearms instructor help you with gun fitment. There is more to fitment than just "feeling right". I have held guns that felt good just due to fit and finish of the firearm, but they did not fit me...

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 01:23 PM

I was at a gun shop this week, and the shop owner said that the 835 mossberg was one of the best guns for the money. I think it was $250.00. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #33 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Wow, this is a long thread, specially since this is a Jeep BBD.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Anyway I would agree with "most" of the advice give so far.
It has to fit properly if you want to shoot well! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If your going only own one shotgun .... make it a 12ga pump. I personally like the 870 Rem ... lost of options available. Nothing wrong with the other brands mentioned. You stated you wanted to stay in the lower priced items .... might want to rethink that if you only want one gun for all things (trap, skeet, field, home protection). I like a O/U for all around use. Too many reasons to go into here.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Several others mentioned the 1187 Rem, I concer, it's a good choice for a all around gun but a step up in price.
[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode