OT - Shotgun Purchase Options - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 12:49 AM

Re: OT - Shotgun Purchase Options

For inexpensive, the Remington 870 Express is reliable, easy to get parts/accessories for and shoots well. It is functionally identical to the upscale Wingmaster. The only shotgun I own right now is an 870 Express in 20ga that I cut off to fit my wife....I use it on grouse mostly. I've also owned a pair of 870 Wingmasters, one each in 12 and 20ga. With the interchangeable chokes the 870 is a good arm.

You might want to see if anyone is carrying a Mossberg 500 combo in your area. When I held an FFL a few years ago, I sold lots of these. Retailed about $325 and had a 28" vent rib bbl with interchangeable chokes, 3 chokes and an 18" bbl and a pistol grip (don't like them, but came with one). I feel the Remington 870 is a BETTER arm, but the combo is a good deal and a lot of people swear by them.

If I had a few extra bones to spend though, I would try to pick up a Ruger Red Label O/U. They are a fantastic shooter, and seem to point well for me---which of course is the big thing with shotguns.

I'm not the best with a shotgun, my talents rest with handguns and rifles, but I've found for what I do, the 870 is the best all around without breaking the bank.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 01:17 AM

I was in your boat a few years ago needed a shot gun but I wanted a auto and it needed to be dual purpose for pheasants and deer plus some backyard trap shooting. I also didn't want to spend a lot.

I'm fortunate enough to have Cabela's and Almonds guns close to me and I looked at them all. After much heckling from my buddies , who all own 870's, to go Remington I decided on the combo barrel Mossberg auto. The gun just fit better then the rest. I like the safety on top, it has changeable cheek pads,came with 4 chockes, has a lifetime warranty and was the cheapest. My buddies still give me a hard time about having the Mossberg but when I drop the birdies before they can, drop every deer I aim at, and out shoot them in clays (somedays) they don't have much to say and I just ask them if they want to try it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't care who makes the gun the brand has little to do with how well a gun works for you it has to fit and feel right to you. When I went to look at guns I had on my normal hunting attire including gloves and out of all the choices The Mossberg fit me the best. I've had it going on 4 years now and am more then happy with it. I've shot everything from light trap loads to to kick like a mule slugs and 3" mags and never a jam or non-eject.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Addict

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
I grew up shooting an Ithaca over/under. Loved it. Didn't realize what a treasure my father was allowing me to use until I was much older and able to form my own opinions about firearms.
One place to to find great deals on firearms are pawn shops. I have made many a deal on great trades and buys. Keep your eyes open and educate yourself. I traded an older Remington 870 20 ga for a Berretta 12 ga Auto in like new condition for a hundred bucks. Why? The shop can move the 870 quickly while the Berretta continues to sit on the shelf. They needed to move some guns and I caught them at the right time. Trades are not ideal, bring cash and act as a serious buyer. Plus a good shop will have a lot of guns to try and choose from. Just be careful of other people's "problems".

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 04:45 PM

How do you all feel about the Remington 1187? I tried this one a few years back and really liked it. I'm wanting a shotgun for waterfoul and probably dove and pheasant. I know the 1187 will work great for waterfowl, but I've not yet gone hunting the others. My brother just told me he is selling a Belgian made Browning semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun (Auto-5 "Light Twelve") for about $450. Near perfect bluing, grade I wood, original box serial numbered to gun, factory installed Deluxe Poly Choke. Is this a good gun and price?
post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Riffraff,

I've never been a big Browning shotgun fan, and therefore do not really know their prices... but I do know the Belgian-made Brownings are said to be the better ones and fetch good/higher prices. $450 sounds like a pretty good price for one in good shape. That being said, that big, nasty, ugly-as-a-troll polychoke would decrease its value in my mind. I hate those dang things. One of my Ithaca mdl 37 16ga.'s has one of them - I have it only b/c someday (before I present it to one of my sons) I will either cut it off and install choke tubes or have a perm. choke installed. Now that I have a 'good' 16ga/37, I refuse to shoot it - that bulge hanging out there on the end of the barrel messes up my shooting focus. (Maybe a 'personal' mental problem?!)

As well, I think the 16ga. is near perfect for upland game. While I agree the 12 is needed for waterfowl (though I have never hunted w/f), I think the 12 is overkill for bunnies and birds (I use a .22lr for squirrel). If you do not get a good head shot on a cottontail w/ a 12, you're either wasting a lot of meat or biting down on a lot of shot.

While I have never fired one, from all accounts I have heard, the 1187 is a good gun. My best friend up in Ohio has an 1187 SP (Special Purpose) he uses for waterfowl; I've never heard him say a negative thing about it. And, given the cabinet full of shotguns he has, he wouldn't be using it if it was not up to the job.

Of the two you name, my personal preference for a combo w/f and upland gun gun would be the 1187 SP. Parkerized metal finish is rust resistent and satin finish on wood is subdued as you would desire in a w/f gun. The interchangeable chokes would allow w/f-type steel shot capable full choke w/ option of changing to the more upland-friendly modified choke. As well, you can easily interchange barrels to have a long tube for w/f, intermediate for upland quarry, and a short rifled/cylinder bore barrel in case you want to slug hunt big game.

Hope this helps.

I love this thread - I finally feel I am providing some payback for all the great knowledge all of you have generously provided to me for working on my Jeeps. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 05:59 PM

On a side note, I've been shooting skeet lately with my Mossberg 590, 20" unchoked barrel. It's hard, but I think it improves your shooting. Wait till I put the 10rd drum mag, pistol grips and ghost ring sights on - no more skeet... [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

I enjoy shooting skeet, but I'll be danged if I've found a good way of cooking them. Everytime I try they end up charred black on one side and almost red (orange) on the other. Taste like asphalt too!

Worst part is my wife and family refuse to eat 'em, and since I insist on eating what I shoot, I hafta eat the whole mess of them! Kinda sours a fella's enthusiasm for the sport, ya know?

What recipe do you use?
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #28 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jerry,

If you have skeet to cook, you're not aiming right!

As to the safty, I'm glad you mentioned it for the many readers who pass through. I'm very well versed in gun safty. I have been trained to give public blackpowder demonstration and the care there is supreme. I also shoot blackpowder whenever I can.

I also have spent a good amount of time firing everything from .38 revolvers to 7mm deer rifles with my in-laws.

So what it boils down to is:
Remington 870
Ithaca M37
Mossberg 500

See which one fits and feels best and go with that.

I actually prefer the pump. Kinda like I prefer a manual tranny I guess. And that sounds is really something when you chamber a round. It can even make a bull move back.

Later,
Fritz
post #29 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I actually prefer the pump. Kinda like I prefer a manual tranny I guess. And that sounds is really something when you chamber a round. It can even make a bull move back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true Paul. Besides the pattern of a shotgun, it's one of the things that make a shotgun one of the best home defense weapons out there. The sound scares on it's own. It's a fact. There is no one that doesn't know the sound of a round being chambered in a shotgun at a fast rack. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #30 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

How do you all feel about the Remington 1187?

[/ QUOTE ]

RiffRaff ,

I think that for an auto gun they're great. Screw in choke tubes, shoots 3in mag's or 2.75 without the need to take it apart and set it up, like the Remington 1100. Comes in lots of versions/styles has interchangeable barrels both factory and aftermarket. While the price is higher then a pump it's not as bad as some of the European makers.

I refuse to shoot it - that bulge hanging out there on the end of the barrel messes up my shooting focus. (Maybe a 'personal' mental problem?!)

I enjoy shooting skeet, but I'll be danged if I've found a good way of cooking them. Everytime I try they end up charred black on one side and almost red (orange) on the other. Taste like asphalt too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry,

I know what you mean about those Poly-Chokes I've shot a couple of them over the years and they just seem so odd to me.

Thought i was the only one that had that problem with them clay birds [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode