Help w/G.Wagon springs. Anyone got them on a CJ7? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Help w/G.Wagon springs. Anyone got them on a CJ7?

I have a set of springs from a G.Wagoneer. They are stock springs. I was thinking about using them on my CJ7. Does anyone know how the measurements compare? The fronts look very similar. The rears are definitely longer. I am planning to stretch my CJ7 so they might still work. I am just curious how they will hold up in a SOA configuration. Anyone have any experience with these springs?

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Addict

Re: Help w/G.Wagon springs. Anyone got them on a CJ7?

For what it's worth, a guy in my club has a set of rear SJ springs in the back of his '88 XJ. They're SOA and seems to have held up fine over the past few years.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

FWIW, WBCarver is modding his CJ7 to use Waggy front leafs at both ends. They look pretty favorable over YJ leafs (w/ V8, 8274, big old bumper, etc.).

Brent tried to "talk him into" using the rear Waggy leafs (ala Holbrook "longleaf") [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], but was frowned upon. The rear hangers would end up being only 6" apart using them at both ends.

Measurement wise, they're only an inch or 2 longer than YJ leafs (assuming that CJ rears are the same???) and the distance from the eye on the short side to the center pin is the same (+/- 1/4")... I've got some pics I can send (with Bills permission of course [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) if you'd like to see what he's doing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Caver,

So CJ rears are the same length as YJ fronts? Waggy fronts are 1-2"s longer than YJ fronts? Am I correct?

Thanks,
Tom
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Brent tried to "talk him into" using the rear Waggy leafs (ala Holbrook "longleaf") , but was frowned upon. The rear hangers would end up being only 6" apart using them at both ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY! I thought it looked pretty damn straight forward and seemed like a good idea..... uhoh, how many times have we heard that before.... "seemed like a good idea at the time...." [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Pooh-Bah

I am redoing the CJ7 right now and have some waggy front leafs (7leafs) I am using. In the front I am going to stay with the rear CJ7 mix pack I was using. In the rear I am using the waggys because they are a little longer and have a 22"/24" split to them, so you can get 2" more wb by running them longside forwards. I ended up pulling two leafs out of them and it sits at the height it did before.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'm positive the Waggy springs are a few inches longer than the YJs...with an offset pin that's real close the same as the YJ.

I was guesstimating on the CJ rear/YJ similarity....anyone know for sure?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'm running a set of CJ rear springs on all four corners of my YJ. The seem a little bit shorter than the YJ ones. I kind of wish I hadn't gone that route, as my shackle angle sucks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:08 PM

Also going to be using the waggy springs in the front of my CJ... well, actually they're from a J10, but are the same thing.

They're only about 2" longer than the stockers at rest, and offset 2" on one end, for the aforementioned wheelbase increase. They flex well, too. Arc translates to about a 1.5" lift if run SUA.

You can also use them in the rear for the same effect, but since they are so sproingy, a traction bar is usually necessary to prevent axle wrap.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:30 PM

OK, coming in a little late here.

Got Waggy front springs on the front of my CJ.
Not sure yet what I am gonna use on the rear. Probably another set of Waggy fronts.

The Waggy front springs are just a little longer than the YJ springs but the waggy rears are a BUNCH longer. Putting them in the front was going to open up a can of worms with the steering. And in the rear in order to get the W/base stretch you would have to either stretch the frame or relocate the gas tank or both.

Here is a pic of front waggy spring compared to a YJ rear spring. Like Caver Dave said, the center pin on the short side is only about a 1/2" off from the YJ.

So what we did is do a shackle reverse and move the front mounting oint forward about 1/2". Which puts the center pin back where it started. ANd relocate the rear mount back about 2"
Now you have to humor me about all the vise grips in the mock up. But here is a Waggy front installed (sorta)

Here is a YJ rear installed. (Again only sorta)

Although not the best pics, you can see the difference in the rear hanger in relation to the body outrigger.

In case anyone cares, here is the Waggy spring at almost full stuff. The Jeep started to come off the Jackstand so I quit lifting.

Will try to have some better pics in a couple days.

Caver if you have some other pics you think you want to post go ahead.

HTH,

Bill C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode