rollcage question - regarding gussets. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

rollcage question - regarding gussets.

hey all,

I built my full cage a few years ago and it seems to have worked so far. I have tipped the jeep over twice. The second time my cage kept me from going over any further..

I just did a tub swap and I am going to change some things with the cage and I am going to add some gussets.. My question is where should I put them?

There are a few places they they might get in the way. for example, I have a bar that goes across my dash.. Do I need them on top of that bar or under? or both? I have four spreader bars and the two inner spreader bars have tubing to support them side ways... Do I need any there? I have the rear bar behind my seats, on top or below? or both. I also have the bar going from the front hoop to the stock hoop next to the seats.. Do I need them on top or both or what?

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: rollcage question - regarding gussets.

Gussets are for strenthening a joint. If you question the strenght of any of your joints, by all means, gusset them. If you are concerned about the structural integraty of the cage, some braces may be in order. To accurately asses the need and location of braces, a structural engineer needs to be employed. Expect to pay more for their services than your whole cage would cost with gussets and braces everywhere.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me explain. I know what gussets do. However I am asking if they are required in certain locations. My welds are fine but that doesn't mean that I should gusset the cage. I am just asking if anybody here knows more about where to put them and where they wouldnt be needed as much.

No structural engineer needed here. Just some opinions on cage building. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:47 PM
BigUgly

I would put them on the spreader bars, horizonally to the ground there. I'd also, put them where the bar do 90* angles, as where the main hoop meets the spreaders or front halo. As for the dash bar, if it gets in your way, the the question might answer itself. I work on a NASCAR short track race team in Denver and we only put the gussetts where the rules or by past experience dictate. I don't think we put them on the dash bars, but we have four door bars on each side that attach to the front supports. As you say your confident in your welding, so, doas your thoughts say, if you think you need them, put `em in. But as a rule of thrumb, when sitting belted into the seat, wave your arms around, and wiggle around, and if your hands or other parts of you body touch a rollbar, <font color="red"> PAD IT WITH SOMETHING </font color> becuase if you can.. now think about a rollover when you're flying around inside. We had a friend build a roll cage for his NASCAR bomber and didn't pad the bar going from the middle of the main hoop to the lower passenger floor board and got hit hard. His head hit the bar and cracked his helmet in half. He was in a coma for about 2 weeks with brain swelling and then, came out of it but, the doctor hasn't released him to race yet. He still has bad head aches every now and then. This wreck happened in `99. Keep it safe out there,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 02:35 PM

Here is a pic of mine before going in:

Roll cage gussets

Also the middle uprights are angled in a touch towards top and bottom for more strength on a side roll impact.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Pooh-Bah

I will usually do smaller tube (1.25") gusstets on both sides of joints that can/will see lots of forces applied in a roll (vertical legs meeting a halo, "L" sides meeting the "B" hoop, rear bars meeting the "B" hoop, etc.)
For spreaders meeting main sections, dash bars and other lesser force items I use the smaller tube gussets, but only on one side, or sometimes I will use plate gussets on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode