opinions wanted! welding spring perches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

opinions wanted! welding spring perches

Anyone want to share any techniques in regards to welding spring perches/shock mounts to axles.

I'm getting different stories from the different shops.

Currie: they say I would could warp their 9'' axle if I weld it up. But recommended that if I do it, to make meny short passes.

Drive train direct: says I'll warp their dana 44, they want to weld on the perches.

Sams offroad: said weld em yourself.

So my question: is there technique, I know not to blow a hole in tube ,but has anyone warped an axle? Or is the warning more of a product liability issue and the risk is small for someone exercising common sense.

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: opinions wanted! welding spring perches

I've never done it but I don't see a problem in doing it yourself. The key would be to not weld it in one pass. Instead do a lot of small stich welds or spot welds. I'd spot weld it on in one place, then move to the opposite side giving the first weld time to cool. I'd work back and forth doing small spots until I had full coverage. As long as you're using enough heat and getting good penetration each time you'll have a great finished product.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 07:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

I can kind of see a 9inch since they are thinner wall. If you are buying a dana 44 that will warp when you weld it I would think that it must be a pile of crap... Most have very good thick tubes and I can see blowing a hole in one but how the heck you going to warp it. I have welded lots and lots of stuff to axles before 8.8, dana 44's, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 12 bolt, 10 bolt... I have never seen one warp before. I think they are blowing smoke up your nether region. I usually set my welder for 3/16 or 1/4 stock and spot them on recheck the pinion angle then weld them up. I personally have never seen or heard of a problem (unless someone welded the perch in the wrong place).

Just make sure they are not voiding your warranty....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:57 AM

I gurantee if you set that axle on jacksands and put a dial indicator on the outside flange, then start welding youll see ALOT of movement at the end of the tube. Thats just the way it works.

clean it very well, grind it all clean, use brake cleaner..
position your perches, tack the 4 corners, then weld in SMALL maybe 1 inch increments, letting it cool in between.

if you look insde a factory axle you can see the heat lines, and the distortion of the tube by teh weld heat, but they MIGHT cut those outer bearing pockets after that process.

if you minimize the heat as best you can it should give you any problems.

I have seen guys weld 10 bolt and 12 bolt Chevy rears, Hi heat, singe pass on each siude and run them alot with no outer bearing failure.

but betetr safe than sorry.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Curie said that they straighten the axle after they weld the perches. If I warped their axle, I could ship it back and they would straighten it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 12:48 PM

I've welded my own perches on both a 9" ford and Dana 44 and had no problems. Follow Ozarkjeep's advice.

I have to confess I even popped a small hole thru the Scout Dana 44 tube while welding as the metal was thinner than I imagined and I was using a 6011 rod, which penetrates deep.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

worried about warp may want to try eastwoods heat sink putty too. Put a lil on the area surrounding the perch take the weld slow i say use a 7018 rod but thats another opinion. good luck if you don't get carried away you should be fine
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:43 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have welded MANY axles, perches, pads, shock mounts, etc, and never a problem, but I also only weld 1" at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode