'96 Cherokee 4.0 and AW4 swap questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

\'96 Cherokee 4.0 and AW4 swap questions

I have a chance to buy a wrecked '96 Cherokee. I know I can swap the engine into the CJ. Has anyone swapped the motor and trans together. I will have the complete Cherokee so I think it can be done. Actually I am positive it can be done. Just not sure if it is worth the trouble to put the OD auto in too. My questions are this how long is the AW4? Does anyone have any experience doing this swap? Where do I get a stand alone harness for this. I know I will have the factory harness with the donor vehicle but I HATE wiring. I would much rather buy a conversion harness than go through the headache of trying to convert it.
Surely someone has done this swap before. Thanks, Wade

PS, Yes I did search but nothing covered the trans swap too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: \'96 Cherokee 4.0 and AW4 swap questions

anybody have any info on this?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, it can be done. The good news is that mechanically, everything will hook up just fine. First, get a 'detailed' manual on the Cherokee. There is a lot of wiring in the harnes that you will not need. Also, a lot of the engine wiring is in the dash. The tranny control module is under the passenger side dash and the main computer under the radio just to it's left.

Contact Painless Wiring in AZ, they might be able to build up a harness for you. In most cases, you send them the old harness and they send it back to you all set up for the jeep.

Good Luck....I think your going to need it. This is about on par to doing a v8 conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yes this can be done. I'm not sure of the exact length of the auto tranny. For the wiring, I contacted Hesco and bought an engine only harness. It was all preterminated with the correct connectors and was labeled well. Took maybe 1/2 hour to install it. My 4.0 is a '93, so I reused all my CJ gauges.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:20 AM
85Jeepny

On my old Jeep I had a 96 Grand Cherokee 4.0L in it. I did not have the auto but the wiring wasn't that hard at all with the factory wiring. I had it wired correctly, the problem I had was the CPS in the bellhousing was machined wrong. There really are only 6 or so wires you need to splice. I have some pages from the factory service manual that detail the wires and the colors you will need if you have any questions, you can contact me...

[email protected]

thx
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

Ben was HUGE help when I was doing my swap. Glad to see you are still lurking around.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:17 PM
85Jeepny

Yeah, I'm still lurking!!! lol...trying to figure out how to inject the 350 in the cruiser now....How's the 4.0L running in yours?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Rick,
How much was the stand alone engine harness from Hesco? Thanks for all the help guys. Wade
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

The 4.0 is running strong. The harness was somewhere around $400, I don't remember the exact price.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:01 PM
85Jeepny

When I ordered it was 423.00 total for the harness...which there was a wire not right on it...we had to switch it to make it work properly....not very good for a $400 harness...like I said, try and go with the factory...it's really not that hard...OBDI or OBDII is covered on Pirate4x4 quite a bit, 96 should still be OBDI....it was kinda a cross-over year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode