Help me! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:00 PM
moongoose

Help me!

I am an italian jeeper.In Italy is illegal mount the 31" 33" and 35" on TJ WJ and CJ.
In the USA is the same thing?
They exist of the laws for these modifications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help me!

Look here.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Veteran

The laws vary by state, but I think most states allow 35" tires. Many times there is a limit on how many inches of lift you can have, which in turn, limits how big your tires can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:27 PM
moongoose

Thnx for informations.
Someone in Italy asks to send from the Daimler Chrysler USA the
homologous ones translate and to introduce to the office of the civil
motorization for the re registration of the vehicle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:59 PM

They say Alaska has laws about such things, but ain't never seen them enforced. I know of several street driven rigs with 44s.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 12:11 AM

about the only time I EVER saw it enforced was in fairbanks and a couple of those moose buggy contraptions were driving down the road. (Hugemongos non DOT terra tires and such) I am pretty sure they got nailed for driving a non-registered vehicle. Sucks though, do you really think you want to pay a couple hundred greenbacks for the privelage to use that thing once or twice a year???

They were cool though, there was two of them at mount prindle when I was hunting there, mobile camps that would go anywhere and were VERY comfortable (considering)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 AM

LOL, yeah, moose buggys are cool. Down on the Kenai Peninsula, they are a favorite of guys bombing in to the Caribou Hills. Cool as they are though, I think a nodwell with a 3208 CAT in it would be the ultimate for hunting/camping/off-roading (especially muskeg)....been trying to convince myself NOT to buy one that a pilot buddy has for sale in Nenana.....for $6k!!!!

BTW I notice you have your jeep on the Jeep Alaska site. Cool. Been many of the places shown there, though bombing out the beach by Grey cliff isn't my thing. Any beach on the Kenai Peninsula/Turnigan Arm/Knik Arm is a good way to lose a rig. Got a buddy that has a place out Grey Cliff.....Corky Hagar....Guy's got a lot of jeep parts. Done some trading with him in the past and hope to do some more.

If you decide to come up the valley way, let me know ahead of time, and maybe we can get togeher. I'm gonna be on the Peninsula this weekend, but I'll be driving the 7 not the 5. Just gonna run out to the end of Mystery Creek and do a bit of bird hunting. One of the guys I work with, his father owns the cabin on the island at the end of the road. Should be a great time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:18 AM
Addict

i would think italy would have the same types of construction equipment on their roadways that the US has, i.e. cranes and dump trucks that run ~52" tires. this baffles me as to why they would not allow larger tires on jeeps. the rubicon is stock with 31's so why would you not be allowed to mount them on another tj?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:38 AM

Sorry to here that Italian jeeper. Time to move!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 AM

Nodwells are very cool.... You could build a couple ramps and just drive that jeep right up onto the bed, good to go!

I am in Ketchikan now, so I won't be in the anchorage area for a year or two again, but depending on how road worhty the jeep is in a year, I am considering driving it up the highway again when I go back to trade school.
(The last drive home from Fairbanks to haines was a *stressful* one in the jeep!)

I will definately look you up though if I make up your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode