T-18/Scout300 combo to Auto poll - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

View Poll Results: Do I keep the granny or go with a slushbox?
Keep it like it is, enjoy the lower gearing, and grow another foot for the other pedal 5 62.50%
Swap to the auto, ebay the t-18/Scout 300, and take the extra $$ to cover power steering and a cage 2 25.00%
Work on the clutch linkage more and put in a line lock 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

T-18/Scout300 combo to Auto poll

I have been considering a swap to a turbo 400/ Dana 20 combo in my Commando. It would be behind a fairly built 258.
I have a T-18/ Scout dana 300 combo now. I love the low range, but I am tired of worrying about clutch linkage and want a bit of a buffer in the drivetrain to help keep things together. So...

I should be able to get decent money for the combo on Ebay, and use that to find and install the auto, while still having some money for other mods. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: T-18/Scout300 combo to Auto poll

I have never had linkage problems. You should keep what you have. I exploded a Scout 300 from heavy right foot. With your 258, you should be indestructable. I am going Auto to take the pressure off of my driveline. I am too cheap to buy an Atlas and adapter for my T-18...
Ricky...seeya..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:59 PM

Don't get rid of the t-18! You have any idea how long I had to look to find one for my jeep?!?! (There are no junkyards here, and and even fewer jeeps) If you are that worried about the linkage, and brand new one (bell crank, pushrod, everything is like 55 bucks from 4wd) or I have also heard that there are bombproof linkages out there with rod ends heavy tubing and such but I am sure the price is way up there.

I guess if you like autos, its kinda obvious, but me being a stick or nothing jeep driver, I wouldn't that t-18 go, you can't beat it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Old Hand

I'm going to have to side with irjpr on this one. A Scout T-18 / 300 combo is like gold! Have you thought about getting a hydraulic clutch system from a 4 cylinder and converting. It may solve your linkage problems. I have it on my sm465 / 300 combo and love it. After putting a new MC in it works flawlessly and is pretty easy on the left leg after a full day of wheeling. Plus no matter how much flex I get in the body and frame, I have yet to have it bind.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 07:47 AM
MGYSGT

I'd keep the T-18. I've got the T-18 in my CJ7 and I wouldn't trade it.
If you are concerned about the clutch linkage, Quadratec sells a rod end linkage kit for about $69.
If your having trouble with you linkage now, check your engine, transmission mounts etc. You really shouldn't have problems.
Just my 2 cents.

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Journeyman

I'd keep what you have...for the clutch wear, I have been thinking of using the same setup for the clutch rod (coming through the floor board) as the other side... you'd have to cut off some of the long rod, thread it, then just join it with the other piece (rod assembly)...should keep it from wearing on both sides. I'm not sure, but what if you switch to hydraulic? Does that eliminate the wear problem? As far as worrying about an extra foot....install a thumb throttle. I wouldn't give up that gearing!
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode