Welding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Welding

Hey jeepers. I used to have a cadet blue 79 cj-7 up till about a year ago when i gave into temtation and sold it. And as such you provably already know why i came back here [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Fixed so many things on that, went from 3-6mpg to 16-20 average and it could stop too! Not having to use the e-brake at a stop light sure was a nice bonus! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

anyway im thinking about going to a local comunity college for welding classes and was hoping i could get some advice from some of the experienced welders here. Im interested in street rods, customs, metal forming, framing, roll cages, motor bikes and stuff like that. Basicaly auto-metal forming. Is there anything you could advice me on? Woul be very gratefull.

ps. moved to Texas [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:38 PM

Re: Welding

You would likely benefit from classes in the main types of welding you will likely peform in the home workshop, mig welding, stick, and oxyacetylene welding and cutting. I find all three useful skills. If you plan to work with aluminum or chromoly, then tig welding would be usefull. I've never taken any formal sheet metal training, so I can't advise. There are excellant books on the subject, and Ron Fournier's Metal Fabricator's Handbook covers both sheet metal and tube fabrication. I think there is a newer edition with an updated name. Anyhow, it's an excellant book for explaining tools and techniques.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 06:51 PM
DRnNY

Hi LWhite and to all the other Jeepers. I'm new to the board and just thought I'd help out.I've been a welder for most of 20 years,from structural welding to repair and fabrication of heavy equipment. It will definatly benefit you to take classes in welding fabricating and it probably wouldn't hurt on taking some sort of metaluroligy classes( I don't mean to get too deep here) but they will teach you the basic's. the real important thing is to practice,practice,practice.It's by doing this that you will learn how to control the heat ranges for the different size rod's or wire you will be using.Glad I can help out in some way.
Later
DRnNY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 09:29 PM

You can learn alot at home just by trial and error, but I was simply amazed at how much I learned by taking a simple SMAW class at night at the community college.
Not to mention you get free shop time, access to lots of scrap and advice from people that have been buggering stuff together since before I could walk. If you got the time and the money to get into the class and buy some equipment I would definetly do it. Most supply shops even give you a hefty discount if you are a registered memeber of a welding class (except it don't apply to welders, only stuff like clothes and lens and such....)

You will be well rewarded with what you learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode