Windshield cowl rubber install ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:06 PM
CHUCKDJEEPSTER

Windshield cowl rubber install ?\'s

Has anyone every replaced the rubber seal on a 90 wrangler? I just got my new seal and really dont know what to do with it. How it goes on, that is. If anyone has any advise about this, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:25 PM

Re: Windshield cowl rubber install ?\'s

I had to do a complete re-install on a 88. That included a new windshield frame, glass, and hinges.

There was two strips of rubber. First was the ring that holds in the glass, second being the seal between the windshield frame and the body.

Which is it that you are replacing?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:33 PM
CHUCKDJEEPSTER

The seal between the windshield and the body. It looks pretty straight foward but I just want to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 02:41 PM

I did my '92 last spring, not too difficult. Hardest part was removing the torx bolts where the top of the windshield attaches to the roll bar. PITA ended up drilling them out and replacing them with regular hex head bolts. Anyhow, after you fold down the windshield and remove the old rubber, be sure to clean both mating sides (windshield side and body side) of steel before you put on the new one. I put a few beads of silicone caulk on mine when I installed it to make sure it didn't leak. I put the caulk on the tub side, then laid out the rubber, then laid a few beads of silicone on top of the rubber, then tilted up the windshield. Be careful when tilting up the windshield wo you don't move it out of position.

A little side note: When I got my new rubber, it needed to be stretched a little to fit correctly. After I put a few beads of silicone on the tub side and laid out the rubber, I stretched it a little and taped it to the outside of the tub with a small piece of masking tape, then stretched the other side and did the same. Then proceed with the top half. That way it held in position good too while I tilted up the windshield.

Mine still had a small gap on each side at the end of the rubber, I just filled up the gaps with some silicone, let it harden, trimmed it with a utility knife, and away I went.

I still have rain getting in somehow, If anyone else has any ideas where it would enter, let me know. Somehow it is coming in under the dash, don't ask me how it gets there, cuz' the air vent is completely sealed. Maybe a pihole in the joint between the vertical part of the cowl and the horizontal part where the vent is on top of the cowl??? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I put the caulk on the tub side, then laid out the rubber, then laid a few beads of silicone on top of the rubber, then tilted up the windshield.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you are ever going to want to fold the windshield down, don't seal the tub side. On my CJ, the rubber was screwed to the windshield frame and I also used gasket adhesive but I didn't glue it to the tub. Just something to think about.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 09:12 PM

"A little side note: When I got my new rubber, it needed to be stretched a little to fit correctly."

Yep, they make different sizes you know.... Ok bad joke....

Anyway, I changed the seal on my cj when I first bought it and there were some *OLD* live shotgun shells wedged in the window frame. THey were 20 gauge, but they were red. I was always under the impression that red was 12, yellow was 20, but either way, it was a suprise to see couple of old rusty live shells sitting right there. Woulda been a suprise if one of them touched off while driving down the road....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:49 AM

I get the rain too. The seal doesn't look that good. I have a feeling the water travels in the top, through the screw holes and down through the dash.

But it is a anoying when it rains, and I hope that it doesn't kill any of the wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode