Got stuck on Memorial Day... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:40 PM
304CJ7

Got stuck on Memorial Day...

About 8:00 Monday morning i showed up at the new shop. We were going to be moving stuff all day. Time passes and we get a lot done but i decide that we should take a break about lunchtime. My buddy and I hope in my Jeep and drive about 1/2 a mile down the road. Its a gravel road that requires a river crossing. Its not but about a foot deep. So we got down there and I looked upstream. There was a rock formation that looked like it would be fun to drive up. So of course I am going up a small creek about 10 feet wide. Right before the rocks there was a slower moving part. I didnt think anything of it. I kept going and then it happened....i sank. It stopped after it swallowed the 33's whole. Crap. We were in trouble. I hopped out in the waist deep water to see what I could do. Nothing budged. Since i hadnt planned on getting stuck i had no tools, no high lift, no nothing to get me out. After about an hour of struggling i walked back to the shop. Luckily, another friend had showed up to help us move. And he was in his rollback. What a relief. We drove back to the creek and hooked his 20k lb pto winch up to the Jeep and pulled her out. But i learned two things from this, Always take tools and stuff that can get you unstuck, and just because a trail looks easy it doesnt mean it is.
All in all i had a good time.

Anyone else have any good stuck stories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:50 PM

Re: Got stuck on Memorial Day...

they usually involve too much vitamin R, so they might not be liked to well on this board. The only time I ever get *REALLY* stuck is when Im doing something I KNOW I shouldn't be attempting.... Thats just ol murphy looking out for us I guess, it wouldn't be any fun if you were prepared for getting stuck would it??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:52 PM

Boy, that's an old story....if it happened on Memorial day....since we just had Labor day.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry, just had to give you a hard time about that!

Anyhow, I was wheeling Monday too, but didn't get stuck. Had my 62 year old father with me, so I turned around when I got to a spot I wasn't too sure of. Since we had been on a 4-wheeler trail through a forest (mud, downed trees and narrow corners) for the previous several miles, he didn't argue my decision, and was flat out impressed what the little '5 could do.

My best "dumb stuck" story was in my '95 Ranger. I drove into a small depression I'd been through many times before. Somehow I managed to stick front and rear bumpers on opposing sides, holding my tires off the ground. Doh! Oh well. My niece lived about 1/2 mile away, so I borrowed her old Ram and jerked the Ranger out. The depressing part is I had the Jeep at home, and I was only looking around in the Ranger, not intending to wheel. Live and learn I say!

Have you flushed all your fluids yet? Did the engine take on any water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have been stuck a couple times but the best was a long time ago when I still had my CJ.... I have always been partial to hill climbs and behind my buddies house was an area that had powerlines and trails to them that were kept open to service them. Another spot in the same general area was being logged and I used to love going back there and playing on the hills. Most of them being red clay they could get pretty slick and were challenging. The Jeep had a welded front end and a limited slip in the 60 in the rear that didn't work (just prevented me from welding it up). I didn't have a winch (I actually have never had a good working reliable winch) but I did have a highlift and my straps. My best friend and my girlfriend at the time was with me and we had played around for a couple hours when I found a creek. Next to hills, creeks are my favorite thing to play in. It looked like it had been diverted because of the logging and didn't really have a normal banks on its sides. One side was flat and sloped very gradually and the other side was steep as crap. I decided to see if I could climp the steep side. Keep in mind my highlift is bolted to the rear bumper. I get up on this hill and it has some grass on it so the jeep starts to claw its way to the top gets to the lip and won't go any farteher. I keep the gas pedal down and the tires begin to remove all the grass from the side of the bank leaving only slick red clay... Eventually it slides down the hill and buries the rear bumper about a foot deep in the mud at the bottom of the creek and begins sinking. And it's not just a little burried the mud swallowed the whole rear section of the jeep.. lights gone, tailgate is about 8" deep lower 3/4 of the back wheels are not visible.... The jeep is facing skyward with the tree tops being the only thing you can see out the windshield... It got to where it wouldn't start at such an angle and I had to try to extract it. Soooo I had to go diging in about 3 feet of mud under the jeep face completely submerged in mud to get the bolts off the high lift and pull it out from under the jeep.... Tried strapping it out and it never would move far enough. Finally had to walk out about 3 miles covered in mud (looked like baby poop) with my buddy and my girlfriend get another jeep go in and pull it out. Kinda embarassing but I was glad it wasn't further away.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:28 PM
304CJ7

Labor Day, Memorial Day, stupid me. There close enough.

I havent changed the fluids yet because i simply havent had enough time to but I havent driven it much since then because they could have water in them. No water got in the engine (thank goodness). I will hopefully be able to do some work this weeked. Not sure yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode