Worth of hard top/doors in midwest - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:27 PM
scottcj

Worth of hard top/doors in midwest

Hey all, new to the board. Usually read at work (not allowed to post). Used to frequent the Chevy/ GM board back to when it was just one board, no ifs and sfa. Wouldn't take the old user name and password. Oh well. Just got a jeep so you could say I've "seen the light". Could find what I was after searching so I figured I would throw a couple questions out there.

First, Thinking of getting rid of the hard top for the jeep. Just want to make it simple. Would probably get a half top soft top. Just be a lot easier the way I look at it. The wife could dismantle it a lot easier. Wouldn't take all the room it does when off. I don't have a lot of space. I really wouldn't have a clue as to what it would be worth. But would probably let it go fairly cheap. Any thoughts?

And basically the same for the doors. Pressed for space and could set up soft doors so if I went on a trip I could take them with. Contradicting myself but just don't want all the space around town and to and from work. Made a hitch haul, too.

Do a lot of outdoors stuff so it'd be nice to just fold that half top back and go. Or just take the doors off and stuff them under the back. No rear seat. Took it out and going to bed line the tub and leave it out. Well thanks in advance. You guys are awesome. Learned a lot so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 PM

Re: Worth of hard top/doors in midwest

Welcome to the board. If it's about Jeeps you can find it here.

As for the hardtop I don't know how many dollars it's worth, but I wouldn't part with mine for a wheelbarrow load of 'em. The soft tops are fine for rain and cold down to 40s, or 30s depending on your tolerance. When it gets really cold the hard top and doors are MUCH more comfortable, not to mention quiet and secure.

Some things that make a difference: Are the door handles paddle type or twist. If they came with your Jeep they will be paddles, but things get moved around a lot on Jeeps.

Next, is there any rust? The doors like to rust through at the bottom. The back window frame also rusts at the bottom and, when it gets bad, around the hinges. If there is no rust in those places, check for Bondo repairs.

Do the window winders, door latches and locks all work properly?

With that info, somebody can probably give you a pretty good idea of what it's worth, if you REALLY want to part with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:24 PM

jeeze, I am itching to get rid of my hard top (great shape off a CJ5) but same thing I don't know what theyre worth....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:48 PM

CJ5 hardtops are a different fettle of kish. There were many different aftermarket tops - full sized and half cab, aluminum, steel or fiberglass, sliding windows and roll-down from a a bunch of manufacturers, plus a LOT of home-mades. With all the variety I doubt that there is an established market or usual price.

Your best bet might to be to put a picture on E-Bay.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:35 AM

they made 5 hardoors with roll down windows?!?! I would LOVE a set of those! I have the slider windows in my doors and they suck. You can't hang your arm on the door and you can't even get good ventilation in the cab.

I have never seen a 5 with rolldowns, even if they were a bit smaller, it has to be an improvement over the crummy sliders.
Anybody have a pic??

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Old Hand

Scott, welcom to the board. Where at in NE are you? I'm in Grand Island and if the top is in good shape, about $400.00 is the going rate around here. Not sure about the doors, but if there in good shape and factory doors with good inserts, I'd say a couple hundred bucks. Give me a PM sometime if your anywhere close, always looking for new people to wheel with.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 06:00 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Welcome to the board Scott. I too am in Grand Island, unfortunately just down the street from the general. lol [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

About that top, it's not worth anything. Tell me where you live right now and I'll come take if off your hands for free!! The doors are another issue. They are worth at least four or five bucks each. I'll tell ya what. I won't charge you for gas to transport the top from your property if you throw in the doors! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kidding aside, I agree with Jim Lou 100%. If you've lived in this wind tunnel of a state long, you know that getting cold is one thing, but add the constant "breeze" and watch those fingers and toes turn blue. If I were you I would try to store it, at least for the time being.

If you don't know, their are literally hundreds of "Jeepers" in the Grand Island / Central City area. Let's do some wheelin some time huh? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:11 AM

About windows, my memory is that there was one around town when I was in high school. A grocery store plowed their lot with it, and had their name painted on the back window and the doors. I'm pretty sure that it had roll-up windows because when I was in college I saw a 5 with sliders and remember thinking that they were pretty crude in comparison.

But that's close to 40 years ago, so I'm not going to bet the ranch on it. And I don't recall seeing roll up windows recently.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:28 AM

crude doesn't even begin to describe sliders.... I have a few pics of cj5 half doors, I think someone on here made/makes them. Doiong a search I come up with lots of 7 halfdoor and wrangler half door stuff, but no 5 half doors. Is there a company or place to get some online somewhere?? I don't need to worry about locking my jeep, just want to get rid of those hideous sliders in my doors...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:52 PM

Sounds like time to make a trip to a junkyard for some parts. Can't be that tough to adapt something, if you can find a donor with flat glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode