Guess what.....AX-5 Problems Ever Heard of This? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Guess what.....AX-5 Problems Ever Heard of This?

OK....I'll try to give you the skinny.

95 Wrangler/4 banger/65k Miles. 33 BGF's went mudding total of 10 times in the 2 years ive had it. Dad swears those 8-10 times RUINED the whole thing. ANYWAY thats another story.

KNOW PROBS:
It grinds alot when downshifting into most all gears and I have pretty much pinned it to the synchos. Thats not the problem. Changed the Trans oil and found 2 gear teeth.

DESCRIPTION OF THE "JERK":
It feels like a recurring gas restriction. It is almost as if you were to give it gas and let off the gas alot. It feels like the "jerk" you get when you do that with the gas pedal. When it jerks I can hear a knock under the jeep. Its not a high pitched metal on metal. It could be metal on metal buts its a low frequency "thud". It will "sputter" like this until I turn the engine off and back on.

THE MAIN PROB:
Been having a "jerking" problem for about the past 5 days or so. It happens about every other jeep ride or so. While cruising at a decent speed maintaing a constant 30-50 MPH speed the jeep will decide that it wants to "jerk" a litle bit. If I keep constant gas pedal pressure the "jerks" and enough to start slowing my down. Once the jerks start they will do it in every gear. It seems like the tranny is going into the toilet. I had a mechanic look at it today and I'm fixing to fork over 1,000 bucks for a rebuilt tranny and another 300 for labor. (I dont have time to mess with that while in college) Anyway. Can the knock possibly be from somthing other than the tranny? Could a clutch cause a restricted feeling like that? Will an input shaft cause a knock like that, but only sometimes? I figure there a few guys out there that would know somthing about this darn "jerk".

THE POINT:
Chances are good that I am going to get a rebuilt tranny put in but I was wondering if any one has had this "jerky" feeling with there AX-5. Anyone reading this that is selling a decent AX-5 for LESS than 1 grand. Thought I might ask. Hope I was pretty clear on everything as it is hard when trying to type a problem.

Thanks a TON in advance. You guys are always great.
CHRIS.

I love my Jeep but Im realy starting to understand the truth behind "Just Empties Every Pocket". What was wrong with my 85 Toyota Pickup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:11 PM

Re: Guess what.....AX-5 Problems Ever Heard of This?

Not quite sure what you mean here
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It will "sputter" like this until I turn the engine off and back on.

[/ QUOTE ]
But that sounds like it has nothing to do with tranny, more like a timing issue, this is usualy called dieseling, Turn the motor of and it rattles on thudding and clunking till you either turn it on and off again or pop the clutch with the brake on.

I would try to get a complete change out from a salvage yard to an AX15 instead of putting that much into the AX5. That is a very weak tranny.

The other problem may be a broken tranny mount and the bumping and thuding is the tranny trans jumping about when you are changing gears or get it in a bind. This on the other hand is pure speculation. Not quite sure what you mean by "jerking"
Would that be a right to left movement or maybe a staggering or stuttering in movement on the power?

Does this "jerking" include a thud , clank, or bumping sound or any sound at all?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THE THUD:
Yes GPn. I mentioned in the post that there is a thud along with the stagger. Its a low frequency thug. Not high pitched. And yes is is a jerk that is associated with loss of power, not left to right movement. I told the guy at the tranny shop about the on/off stagger and his first speculation with a tranny mount. But once again he wasnt sure. There was a thud with every stagger. Not just one thud and the staggers follow behind. Every "loss of power" had a thud to go along with it. After the the thud it would pick up speed a bit and then THUD again. Very aggrivatiing when you are on a longer stretch of road and you cant gain speed because of it.

AS FOR THE SPUTTER:
Yes the sputter I mean isnt like a sputter when you idle. Its the loss of power sputter. Kinda like if you were running out of gas and it will jerk you and give you a loss of power.

Thanx for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Wrangler88

the 4cly, can only use the ax-5 behind it, the ax-15 wont work its for the 6's, also my buddy just had his ax-5 rebuilt for $700, and it was repalcing everything, but a good known rebuild shop, and that was with labor included, his front input shaft was bent, his rear output shaft was bent, 5th gear was destroyed, all this and it was taken offroad twice, with 31's and not even abused, just the person before him must not have taken care of it, sometimes for the cost of rebuild u can get a low milage, tranny from another jeep, or even a whole 6 cly with the tranny and ull be ahead of the game..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I called all the salvage yards and NONE had a Wrangler. They could all get used or rebuilt ones. One place quoted me $1000 for a used one and $1400 for a rebuilt one. And with the used one, I had to give them mine. (So they could fix a 2 dollar part and make another grand off of it.)

At any rate, I just talked with my dad and he said he is going to drive it all this weekend and see if he cant get it to happen while he is in the Jeep. He said that the instant loss and regaining of power should not have to do with the transmission. He seems to think is has to do with the fuel filter. He thinks that its not getting gas through and when it "gaps" the bang I am hearing is just everything under the jeep shifting and moving. Hes not sure but he doesnt think a tranny should jerk forward and back like that. He said once its put into gear it should stay with no "missing".

I also think it cant be the tranny for the fact that it does it in every gear and for the fact that once I turn it off and let it cool for 30-60 seconds that it stops doing it. Last night it did it on the way to the movies. Stopped it for a minute and started it up again and finished the trip to the movies without it doing it again. Its a very weird problem and none of the mechanics I talked to can put their finger on it.

If the thud and jerk is not the tranny then I am not gonna dump 1300 into it. If the only thing wrong is a little grinding when downshifting I can deal with that. It goes through the gears just fine.

Anyway. Thanks for the advise once again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Coincidentally, I just went through almost that same problem with a T-176. What I found was a synchronizer problem. The dogs that keep the 4th gear blocking ring from turning had cut into the ring. The cut started at almost the deepest point of the notch in the ring and cut back in an arc to the edge. What this did was try to push the blocking ring up onto the input shaft (4th gear is straight through) when I was in another gear. Being in one gear while trying to sync up another tries to lock up the tranny. The grinding gears would also be consistent if it's trying to sync two gears at the same time.

The cause: The lock ring that holds the input shaft in the bearing had come out of the groove and allowed the input shaft to move backwards and grab the blocking ring.

Can't say this is your problem but it sounds all to familiar. You should have one gear that doesn't. isn't a problem (the one with the bad ring) or you have more than one bad syncro. Are you sure those were gear teeth that you found or blocking ring teeth? If they were gear teeth, you would have a lot of noise.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:23 PM

Re: Guess what.....AX-5 Problems Ever Heard of Thi

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
his front input shaft was bent, his rear output shaft was bent, 5th gear was destroyed, all this and it was taken offroad twice, with 31's and not even abused, just the person before him must not have taken care of it

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone abused that tranny, if not your friend, than definately the PO

TAZ,
why would the problem "reset itself" if the vehicle stopped and set for a minute? Just curious.

Phil
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:15 AM

my rear wheel bearing on my 68 mustang went out like that. the axle finally ceased up.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 03:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If any one ever used anything but GL-4 or GL-3 the syncros go real quick. The sulpher content of GL-5 eats the things alive, hence causing shifting issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode