Will cross over steering hit the springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Will cross over steering hit the springs?

I'm in the process of fixing the steering on my 81 scrambler. It's SOA on a Wagoneer dana44. I've got the springs outboarded and I'm still running the stock cj springs. I took it over to a buddies house and he was going to change the passenger knuckle with one that I've got set up to high steer. He called me up after getting the old knuck off and said I have a problem. He said it looks like the draglink is going to hit the springs as it goes from the pitman arm to the high steer arm as the jeep turns.

I'm using a 1" high steer arm on top of the standard chevy flat top knuckle. The only other change I've made with the steering is I have a wagoneer power steering box. I'm headed over tonight to take a look at it be was wanting some advice from the professionals. Should I have any problems? The swap has been done alot, does anyone know if this should work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Will cross over steering hit the springs?

I have an '82 Scrambler with full width '79 Wagoneer front D44. I am using GM knuckles with Parts Mike steering arms. I am using 7-leaf HD springs from JC Whitney. I don't have any clearance problems. I have the stock CJ Power steering box and a pitman from a Dodge Ramcharger. I was having clearance issues between the drag link and tierod before I switched to the Dodge pitman. Let us know what you find out.

Later,
Tom
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I took a look at it last night and the springs run right through the area the drag link would need to go. The waggy steering box sits quite a bit lower than the cj box. I can put a spacer under the high steer armto get that over the springs but I think I would need to mount the draglink to the top of the pitman arm or get an arm that sits up a little higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Pooh-Bah

Mines not a scrambler, but I had to run a 1/2" spacer for the tie rod to clear my springs, and a 3/4" spacer on the drag link to clear the springs when fully turned.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Tom, I looked at your site and I've got pretty much the same setup in front that you've got. I've actually used a lot of the information you've got posted there while doing my axle swap, it was really helpful. I went with the waggy 44 and 20 also.

Did you have to install a spacer under your high steer arm?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

are you using a drop pitman arm? you shouldnt be... and yes.. you may have to space up the steering arm.. this is not a definate answer.. since it depends on how you did your spring over.. i didnt grind alot into the housing.. and had to space up my drivers side spring perch.. so my springs are mounted kinda high.. so i had to use a 1/4" spacer under my arms.. i wouldnt go over a 1" spacer.. and with that you'll need longer studs.. you might be able to get by using some chevy head bolt studs.. from arp... i know some guys are using them for the studs.. not sure on the length of those tho..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I don't have any spacers. I am running the Parts Mike super arms.

Later,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode