O/T what to do with old engines and parts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

O/T what to do with old engines and parts?

I am on vacation this week, and am going to get started cleaning out my garage so my jeep project can see the light of day again [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]. I have 2 engines laying around in the garage that I need to get rid of a 302 dissassembled, already bored .040 over and probably not useable because it needs bored again. An AMC 258 that was using a quart of oil about every 150 miles before I pulled it from my cj7. I know I could probably sell the parts on ebay, but would it really be worth the hassle of getting shipping all figured out and stuff for a few dollars? what I am probably going to do is figure out what parts from the engines I will never need and take them to the scrap yard down the road for pennies a pound. what would u do if these were your parts?...thanks for the advice, Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:20 AM

Re: O/T what to do with old engines and parts?

I'll answer it in this way. I don't like junk setting around. To the yard it would go. I just can't see that a wore out 258 would be worth the effort to put on ebay.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:31 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'd agree. Off to the yard they would go.

But just a word of caution. I've never been able to pull off EVERYTHING I need, and get rid of an engine before completing a swap. If you are replacing that 258, with a 258, you might want to sit on it until the swapping is done. Nothing worse than paying for something that you threw out the day before......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:37 AM

Good point. I've done that before. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

good point IN2DEEP...the 302 was replaced with a 351w HO out of a 1985 Bronco for my 1978 f100. Not many swapable parts there. and I have a AMC 360 sitting where the 258 used to be in the cj7, so not likely I can use much from it either..thanks for the thoughts [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 03:33 PM

Ben, is there anything missing from the 258? Where in Ill are you?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

YJ owner, I am in Quincy...about 20 miles across the bridge from Hannibal, mo, if u have ever heard of that city(mark Twain). You are up by chicago, right? I think it is about 5-6 hours from here to chicago. the only things I can remember missing is the distributor, alternator power steering pump, and flexplate.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 07:33 PM

if your sure you dont need any of the components, run an ad in the local newspaper or trader rag, and basically say, I dont want to scrap them - $25 and come get them

that way youll get the same or more than the local scrap yard would get, and they can sit in someone elses yard! or better yet someone can put them to use instead of melting them down.

I took some AMC engine parts to the scrap yard years ago, and I still feel bad!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:41 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I took some AMC engine parts to the scrap yard years ago, and I still feel bad!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, when I left Florida I gave my 304 complete with a Performer intake, headers, bellhousing, etc to my buddy who scraps and he just threw it in a car for more wieght. I'm really kicking myself now that I'd love to have it for my project Jeep instead of the ironduke. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been looking for an obsolete part off a 258 for a long time and perhaps you may have it. Looking for a three prong Coolant Temperature Sensor--the one that fits into the intake manifold water jacket that allows computer control of BBD carb stepper motor after 135 degrees. Perhaps you would be willing to pull yours and see if it has 3 prongs and let me know. Would be happy to reimburse for your trouble. Thanks, Corky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode