4WD Problems....HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

4WD Problems....HELP

It's the strangest thing...The 4wd light wont go off....I get wheel hop around corners...but with transfer case in 4wd the front tires aren't pulling....the only thing i can figure is transfer case. Maybe someone has had this problem. I have vacuum at front axle actuator...but when I shift transfer case vacuum wont change sides. Actually I will start a new post to figure this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:05 AM

Re: 4WD Problems....HELP

Do you have a vacume diagram to show you whats supposed to do what? Somethings not right. They don't "hop" around corners in 2WD.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Can't Get Enough

Try the link in my signature to see if all of the lines are hooked up right. One of them may have broken or come off of the transfer case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

I know something is not right...I have all the vacuum lines hooked up corectly...with a constant vacuum source at the red. When I switch the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd vacuum doesn't change at the axle. ie it stays at the yellow lines when it should be changing to green...thus not diengaging the front axle and....voila we have front wheel hop. the thing that has me confused is that in 4h or 4l i am not getting any drive to front wheels. when i put in in 4l then i get low range at rear wheels. this is what makes me think transfer case is fubar.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 08:56 PM

1. by wheel hop do you mean the the steering wheel hops when you make a tight turn? very normal for when 4WD is engaged

2. My axle disco switch on the TC stopped work so I by pass it. and connect the Red hose straight to the green line. When it is off road time I pop the hood and make the swap from the red to the yellow.

3. try to rotate the front drive shaft by hand? in 2wd, in 4wd with the the front axle disconnected, in 2wd with the front axle engaged( use a vacuum pump, I'd never recommend someone get under a car while it is running)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You wouldn't happen to have a locker in the front, would you??? This, if the axle was engaged, would give the effect that you describe ...even if the driveshaft wasn't locked in at the t-case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode