OT Cut the rails off my trailer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

OT Cut the rails off my trailer

I have a 16' utility trailer with the rails on it and my jeep barely fits on it with 32x11.5's and i'm looking into getting 35x15.5's and there's no way my jeep will fit between the rails of my trailer. If i cut the rails off will my trailer loose much structural support if i remove the rails? Could i make up for the lack of rails by adding some more reinforcement under the trailer (i've never really looked under it to see how it's built.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT Cut the rails off my trailer

I have often thought about this and I think if your trailer is like mine (Utility Style) you should be able to cut them off flush and then weld angle Iron back down to regain your strength but what do I know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:38 AM
jeepfiend

There is really no hard fast answer for your question, it really depends on the structure underneath. It would probably be a good idea to have an engineer look at it, or compare it with another trailer of similar length and axle set-back. On some trailers of this type, the rail does act as a truss, on others it is merely there to keep stuff on the deck. If you know axle wieghts of your Jeep and the size channels used underneath, any mechanical or civil engineer worth his weight in salt should be able to do the math and tell you if it will work. The only problem lies in the fact that our society is so latigiously driven, a lot of engineers will not want to assume the liability unless they are paid quite well. I would go to a few trailer lots and look at their trailers without rails. Take a tape measure and make some comparisons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:49 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Andy, why must you always chop up something that is already well built? I think you really should see a professional about your desire to chop things up. Chances are the desire will be rooted somewhere in your childhood and maybe with some proper medication you'll stop hacking things apart.

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 05:16 AM

Jeeper, you cut the rails off that trailer and it will fold up when you drive your Jeep up on the ramps. Do yourslef a favor. Sell that trailer and put a little more money with it and buy one that is built with a frame under it. I have a utility trailer liek that.. All the strength is in the rails. That is how they can build them out of 2" angle iron.
Just my $.02 Wade
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 07:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Wade what if you cut the rails off and then relocate them down onto the bed of the trailer. Just take out the uprights??? Just a thought.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:13 AM

Andy don't cut anything yet. You could very easily take the structural integrity out of the whole thing. And if it didn't fold on the spot.......could maybe kill someone going down the road.
Either........
Leave what you have alone
Take it to a competent ($$$$) weld shop
Buy a bigger one
Or do what alot of us do.....keep a small skinny set of wheels and tires for the trailer. Then change them when you roll it off. Yes a little more of a PITA but a cheap fix to your problem.
But for pete's sake. Quit hacking up your junk. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Whoa, don't even think about it. What you are referring to as rails are trusses. It's built like a bridge. Cut them off and you will loose all the strength. They are not to keep stuff from falling off the trailer. There are trailers built without the superstructure but they have a lot more steel underneath, are heavier and usually higher off the ground.

Sorry, I hadn't read your post before because I took the subject line to mean you had already cut something off rather than that you were asking advice.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DO NOT CUT THEM OFF!!!!!! SELL THE TRAILER AND GET ANOTHER ONE!

i have done this to my trailer.. i welded them back down on the bottom the X'd the subframe and it still folds down under the jeep.. i now have to go and build another sub frame.. ugh.. waaaay too much f'in work for a trailer.. once i get the new sub frame on it.. im selling it.. and buying a tilt bed trailer... check ebay for them.. nice price.. look sweet.. and come 82" between the fenders..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Guess that was a bad idea, there's a reason i asked before doing it since i've heard both ways. Up here they don't trailer to the trails so my jeep really won't see the trailer much except for farther away trails, when it brakes and taking it home so i could probably get away with it even though i'm really lazy. Jeepgod didn't you just park elusive's jeep up on the rails?

Barrelroll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode