Do we want a "sticky For Sale" thread? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

View Poll Results: Do we want a "For Sale" sticky thread?
Yes I do 62 79.49%
No I don't 13 16.67%
I don't care 3 3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Re: De we want a \"sticky For Sale\" thread?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Now for some reason I couldn't sticky the poll. Then I tried to sticky the post without the poll and then add it...........it wouldn't let me.
So, sorry to anyone who voted (4 of you). Please revote since I had to delete everything to make this stick.

I will leave this up for a week....then the voting is done.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 04:33 PM
Official Curmudgeon

NO!

I think this was discussed before and was voted against.

1. It would be inviting people to come here to sell their overpriced junk

2. It would be very hard to police in a fair manner. You say no businesses but how are you going to enforce that? There is one person who comes here trying to sell stuff all the time, I don't think I need to mention any names. Is he a business or an individual? On the other hand you have Tom who doesn't try to sell and was invited by the majority of those who commented to put a link to his business in his sig. He's so low pressure, I forgot what he is selling. Seems like OBA was part of it.

3. This is the part which makes me sure that this has been discussed before, I suggested that the member make the standard FS post. If the merchandise is of use and at a reasonable price, somebody will bring him back to the top. If the items are junk or overpriced, it will usually just fall to the bottom. One of the biggest irritations I have with for sale items on this board is the overpriced stuff that nobody wants just drops through and then the seller comes back and does a BTT or engages in an argument just to keep it at the top of the page.

Status quo. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 04:56 PM

I've voted No. Here's why:

1. I come to this board to talk jeeps/jeeping. If I want to see for sale stuff I hit ebay or Northern 4x4 suppliers.

2. Honestly, there are maybe 4 or 5 other members from my area on the board that I might be able to connect with for parts. Living in Alaska, I could care less what somebody in Ohio or Carolina or California or wherever has for sale. Even if it was free frieght to my area is EXPENSIVE. I bet if people on the east coast feel the same way about for sale stuff on the west coast and vice versa.

There you go. My honest opinion and answer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 05:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I voted yes
Just because DD said "De we" in the original post, since it sounds like PeeWee I must support my "most awesome of human beings" friend.

(I fixed it for you Larry)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I voted yes, but I think we should restrict it to members who have a certain number of posts. If a new poster came and posted a for sale thread a moderator can just delete it. Its a good idea, but needs to have a good strong set of rules in place before it comes to life.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

You know....
Nick I think if this ends up happening, maybe make a preset post count mandatory. Say 50 for a minium. (just thinking out loud) And that way if they don't make it.....delete.
[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 06:08 PM

I voted yes for this one! Over the last year I’ve been in need of parts, one that comes to mind is a wiring harness. “Jaffer” had a harness posted and I was able to snap it up. You kind of get to know people over time, even if you never meet them. I knew buying something from “Jaffer” wasn’t a risk, and I was right, the harness was everything he said it was and more. I’d rather give a member of the board/jeep enthusiast my money which in turn gives them more funding for their projects than give someone I never heard of over Ebay or ? and take a chance it’s junk or never gets delivered. Chances are if a guy has hung our here for a year or so talking Jeeps, posting pics, etc. He/she’s an enthusiast, not a crook. As far as businesses and other things being posted or over priced, I feel it’s like anything else, use your judgment. If you feel the product is not superior or over priced, if the YJ/TJ/CJ Scrambler, or ?, is over priced, and or junk, Pass on it and wait for the next one to come up, or check with other businesses that makes similar products and buy from them. Rick
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Gotta vote yes, If you don't want to look at it, then don't. I like having them all in one spot.. Good Idea DD [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 06:28 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Did a quick search just for reference and came up with some threads where this had been discussed before.

Here

Again

And again

And my post here where I said I made deals with two people on this board to buy and neither followed through.

Here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode