Dana 30 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 02:10 PM
JeepinVA

Dana 30

Im a 17 year old new to the off roading area. I currently own a '97 Tj, but due to lots of problems i am selling it to get another possibly with a dana 44 rear. i have two questions first being are there any models besides the rubicon that come with dana 44 front end? and the other question is how strong is the dana 30 and what punishment can it withstand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 02:32 PM

Re: Dana 30

The rubi is the only SWB jeep to come with a 44 front. As far as how do they hold up? well that depends on you, your driving, and terrain. The 30 can be built into a "decent" axle for smaller tires and a cautious right foot. I know that my 30 has amazed me. I have only broken it several times. But I do have 35's and am careful on the lines I pick. I also am no rock crawler by any means.
And with that said........my 44's are in the garage waiting to go underneath mine. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 02:44 PM

only the rubicon comes with a front dana44.

dana 30s on TJs have a larger U (297) joint then on the YJs(260). 1995 yjs had the 297 ujoint. The 297 is the same U joint used on dana44s.

the ring gear is still small. but the early YJs have a reverse rotation gear set, so they are stronger gear.

a reverse rotation dana 30 with 297 u joint is OK,at best. If you got to JeepsUnlimited or pirate 4x4, you can find posts about guys using reverse rotation dana 30s out of XJs on there tjs.

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] there is a lot more to it though. but thats why guys will pay big bucks to swap out a dana 30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey D Dog.
Just curious,
Where (on the axle) did you bust your Dana 30?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 07:54 PM
JeepinVA

i undestand the idea of reverse rotation but what are the advantages and disadvantages to it? what do the numbers for the u-joints mean?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i undestand the idea of reverse rotation but what are the advantages and disadvantages to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you understand the idea, you wouldn't have to ask. The whole idea is with a standard cut gear in the front, the pinion is driving the coast side of the ring gear. They are not made to drive that way but in the front where they are not used much, they can get away with it. The reverse cut pinion drives on the drive side of the ring gear which is the side it was designed to drive on.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
what do the numbers for the u-joints mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are spicer part numbers for u-joints. The 260 is a smaller joint than the 297. The 297 is what 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks use.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Addict

is the rubi d44 front a true d44? a buddy of mine got a rubi and said he was told it was frankenstein'd like a d44 centersection with d30 shafts or something...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Official Historian

It is a dana 44 center section with the rest of the parts from a TJ dana 30. They use the same size u-joint anyway. Maybe dana 44 inner shafts though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:47 PM

The Rubicon uses a 5-760x U joint. same dimensions as the 5-297X but cast using a different process = stronger. Therefore the Rubi Dana 44 is stronger in the U joints then on earlier Dana44s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode