Question about brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Question about brakes

While wheeling last sunday, I lost just about all brakes. I was driving all mud and sandy water. I know it took out the rear brakes, you can hear it grinding in there, but for some reason my fronts didn't want to work either. Both front and rear reseviors were filled, so it wasn't a leak. Could it be the proportioning valve? And has anyone tried one of the adjustable valves. It just seems that the rear was doing all the work before???? oh and its a scout 44 back and waggy d44 front. And if anyone had a good write up or links to an inexpensive rear disk conversion, that would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:06 AM

Re: Question about brakes

I experience the same problem with my Scout axles. What's worse is I have manual brakes. Try to stop - pedal to the floor. I have to pump the brakes to get them to work. After a few stops, they return to normal. I can't explain it either, but I know it's attributed to water.

As far as a rear disk conversion, there are quite a few writeups floating around. I have the conversion planned sometime in the future, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I am going to use brackets from AA Manufacturing, GM calipers, and CJ front rotors (the ones from around 1978, bigger than the 80-86 rotors). I'm not concerned about an e-brake, as I will setup a line lock.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:46 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Question about brakes

I expect your problem was the mud and water. Water and mud act as a lubricants and when they gets in the brakes, you don't stop. Discs don't stop as well as drums. By the placement of the pivot, the shoes are pulled into the drums as they rotate. One advantage to discs is that they shed water better, but not at off road speeds. Another advantage to discs is that with a lot of braking, drums heat up and expand away from the shoes causing brake fade. I expect the latter is what you are describing as your problem AllLockedUp.

As for thinking that your rears are doing all the work, go out on an deserted street, bring it up to 20-30mph and slam on the brakes. When it stops, get out and make sure all 4 tires left skid marks. If they AllLockedUp and you didn't have a hard pull in one direction, you're probably all right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode