EGR Tube question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

EGR Tube question

I'm putting in a new exhaust manifold on the 258 (started as a simple gasket replacement to fix a leak, typical right) The EGR tube was frozen solid in the old manifold and took a good fight using a can of PB, the torch, and BFH to finally get it out. Unfortunately, as a result the connector's threads on that end are in bad shape.

I can't just leave out this tube because I'm afraid I won't pass NJ emissions without it and it's due for inspection. I titled it as an '81, not knowing at the time that '80 and older only have to pass the test at idle (and I have an '80 title, DOH!)

I don't have a 7/8" or whatever die to try and rework the threads, and not sure it would help either. The connector is still seized to the tube which would likely be a problem too. Should I just seal it with some high temp epoxy and hope it holds until I replace the engine, which is many months away at least? I just bought a 2000 4.0 that's on its way to becoming a Megasquirted stroker, but it won't be ready any time soon for sure.

I don't hold much hope of finding another tube in a salvage yard. If I do find an '80s vehicle with a 258 it will probably suffer the same frozen connector problem (unless it drove up from down south to die here [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Can one be purchased new somewhere? Or even used? I'm sure one could be made but I don't have the ability to flare or bend steel tube of that size (1/2"-?) at such a tight radius. I'm open to ideas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:02 AM

Re: EGR Tube question

Go to a hardware store and find a nut that matches what the threads are supposed to be. Find a bolt or piece of bar stock that's a snug fit inside the tube. If necessary taper the bar with a grinder so that it will start into the tube.

Cut the nut in half with a hacksaw. Put it over the bunged-up threads and squeeze it in a vice. Take the tapered bar drive it into the end of the tube as you clamp down with the vice. Take it easy, a little at a time.

You should be able to get the tube back close to round, and the threads into some semblance of what they're supposed to be. Maybe you can screw everything back together.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Old Hand

On my '84, when I replaced my manifold, I could not get the EGR tube to work. Fortunately for me, my threads were still in good shape. I cut the tube at both fittings and then used a penny behind the fitting to keep the system closed. I put a penny in the coupling then put installed the tube fitting. Recently the penny on the header blew out so I had the fitting welded.

When I was going through this, people told me that I could probably find what I needed at a muffler shop. I never tried.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

Those damn zinc pennys, should have used older one made of copper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode