Quest for a short wheelbase Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quest for a short wheelbase Jeep

Ok I posted some time ago about an M38A1. I have opted not to purchase that as the project because, engine was froze, had major rust, Brakes clutch and other components were bad/missing, Didn't know if the rest of the drive-train was good and they wanted to much for it. I may try to talk them down more as a parts Jeep but we shall see.

I have looked at several older Jeeps and I am close to getting a 1975 CJ5: F4, D30/D44, T-90, twin stick T-18 and runs good, drive-train is solid and works great, but it needs a lot of body work. They want to sell it for 1,200 but I'm trying to get it for around 800-900. Then I'd probably try to get the M38A1 as a parts Jeep because the good body parts (windshield frame, tailgate, spare tire carrier, parts cargo floor) on it will be needed for the 5.

I have put that on hold for a bit though, because yesterday I found an excellent Jeep. My Pops spotted an early Jeep in a carport at a house way west of town here. I found it yesterday and met the people who own it. Very nice elderly couple who have had it since the early 60's. The Jeep is a 1952 M38 and is in very good shape, very little rust, good top, 2 sets of wheels/tires (Originals are there) original drive-train save for a late 50s - early60's Chevy 283 V8 that has been swapped in and the OD that was installed shortly after they got it. Now I really would rather have the original engine, but I'm not complaining about the engine it has [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

After talking to them they may sell it to me, but they don't know what to ask for it. What is a Jeep like that worth? I don't want to spend a fortune on my toy Jeep, but I'd rather sink a little more into this one initially than spending a lot fixing up the other one. Plus who can deny that the flatties are cool and this one being an M38 makes it rare.

I've found a lot of cool older Jeeps lately, 2As, a 3B, M38,M38A1, Early 5's including a Tuxedo Park with the Dauntless V6, but this M38 is without a doubt my favorite and best one yet [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Its like the old story goes though, whats it worth?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Official Historian

Re: Quest for a short wheelbase Jeep

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Then I'd probably try to get the M38A1 as a parts Jeep because the good body parts (windshield frame, tailgate, spare tire carrier, parts cargo floor) on it will be needed for the 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, if the M38A1 had a tailgate, it is a CJ5 body. The M38A1 didn't have a tailgate.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:43 PM
goose

My neighbor's did have a tailgat and we looked at another one and it also had a tailgate. Like the recessed headlights tooo.
Goose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Official Historian

I stand corrected. It looks like the M38A1-C had the tailgate panel cut out for ammunition access and some had tailgates from either M38's or CJ5's added.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode