A *Different* Axle Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 05:04 PM
304CJ7

A *Different* Axle Question

Well, I still havent decided on upgrading my axles. So i have a question. With the AMC 20, which is better, a full floating kit or 1 peice axles? I havent heard much about the full floating kits.I am going to be painting the Jeep as soon as it starts getting cold and it will be the right time to pull the axles and do some work. Has anyone here had experience with full floating kits? Install? Upkeep? Strength?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:17 PM

Re: A *Different* Acle Questions

Forget about the FF's and install Superior or Mosser one piece shafts. [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:52 PM

man I don't know, I got the ff in my CJ (bought it back when it was only 450 dollars all the way to my door in Alaska) and I have tried religously to break it, but instead have broken everything but the full floater!

Whats so bad about it that he should get the one piecers???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree... get the FF. I got a set and they are great. If you tow, it is great. And you can access the bearings better, and seeing you are in georgia, you probably have mud to deal with. So maintenance is easy. And installing rear disc will be easier. The price is outrageous now. I too bought them when it was 495... the next month the price went up. I got lucky.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 11:14 AM

I contemplated which style to get also but decided that on a CJ the FF wasn't really needed as you don't carry heavy loads. I figured the FF just had more parts to possibly break and added weight. Now if you were to flat tow the Jeep a lot then it may be a better choice because you can put lockouts all the way around.

I went with the Summer's Brothers 1 piecer's because at the time they were the only ones that used tapered roller bearings and I liked their beefy retainers with the grease zerk so you can grease the rear bearings easy.

This is all just my opinion and it's one of those "Six to one,half a dozen to another" type things. I'm sure either will get the job done and they both sure beat the stock axles. Just be leary of cheap 1 piecer's, if they have a tire size restriction they are most likely 2 pieces welded together then machined.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Addict

If I had a cj with a amc 20 and i thought about upgrading, i would look to another axle like a 44 or 60, you can get a 44 that is a very close match to your 20 (gears and width) and they hold up a little better with one piece axles. Or you could go 60 with a little lower gear ratio you would be ready for larger tires. I couldnt see myself spending 300 on one piece axles or 490 on a full floating rear if an upgrade could cost hundreds less. Why stick with the 20? when you could go larger. I got a scout 44 here i will sell you for $140 set up for a cj with these gear ratio's 3:08 3:54 or 3:73. If you do want to upgrade the 20 DONT BUY CHEAP ONE PIECE SHAFTS!!!! I have seen these break you know the one piece axle shafts fro under $200, read the fine print they arent hard and are for tires 31" and under. 4wd hardware sells a cheap set like this. The old "should i upgrade my 20" question is really dependent on your offroading needs, I had a show jeep with 39 mickeys and dana 30 front AMC 20 rea and i drove it on the street for 2 years with 3:54's and stock amc 20.

Heck you could even get a HD 20 from a 80's FSJ that would be a upgrade, but with thin tubes and other 20 problems i wouldnt think twice about swapping. You know the thin tube problem has haunted jeepers since 1980 but the amazing thing is that guys with ford 9"ers dont complain about bending tubes..............and they are thinner....what gives??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Another vote for the Summers Bros. full floater. I've had mine for about 10 years. The last 9 years it's been holding up to 305 TPI racing Camaros and Firebitrds. Uses the same bearings and seals as the front.

Breakage is not a problem. Pull the axles, drop the rear driveshaft and drive home on the front. Rear lockouts and a twin sticked t-case would make it even easier.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 02:53 PM

yea, I am a little lost as to why a one pece setup would be preffered over full floating setup. Double duty on the bearings in a one piece set was enough to sway my decision to go full float. Not to mention this thing only took like 2 hours start to finish to put in.

Humm, full float 14, or semi float 14.... yea full float..... I just don't see it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

thsoe semi floating 14 bolts are C-clip axles.. another reason to stay away from them..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:24 AM
304CJ7

Lets see...

Full Float Kit- 1000.00
ARB Locker- 650.00
ARB Compressor- 200.000
Ring and Pinion- 250.00
Install Kit- 100.00

Rough total- 2200.00
This = an empty pocket....ouch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode