OT: Anyone ever driven a Jeep Forward Control? ME! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT: Anyone ever driven a Jeep Forward Control? ME!

I just got back from a trip to Red River, New Mexico. While I was there, we were driving around town and I saw this Jeep FC-170. I also noticed a CJ-3 and Commando in a shed behind the house. There was an old man out front so I decided to stop and ask about the Jeeps. It turns out that this guy is a Jeep nut like most of us. He has more Jeeps than he can count. Mostly 40-70s models. Anyway, we spend some time talking Jeeps and I offer to bring my Scrambler by for him to look at. A CJ-8 is one the few Jeeps he has never owned. When I take the Scrambler by we talk some more and he asks me as he points to the FC-170 "Have you ever driven one of those?". Well of course I haven't, I have never even seen one in person before this one. So I say "why don't you take me for a ride" and he insists that I drive it. So off we go, me and this old man I have only known for a couple of twenty minute conversations. That old truck really drove well. I couldn't believe how smooth the ride was. I expected a 50s truck to be harsh, but this one wasn't. As we were driving, the old man proceeded to tell me that he had taken this truck wheeling on some of the local trails. He said why have Jeeps, if you aren't going to use them. I have to say that the hour I spent with this guy was one of the best parts of my vacation. So if you ever see some old Jeeps around don't be afraid to go up and ask about them you might find your own "old man".

Later,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT: Anyone ever driven a Jeep Forward Control? ME!

Driven one? hell I've only seen them in my History of Jeep book.

that's an awesome story! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But becareful when you take your CJ8 up to show it to him.... like he said.... he hasn't owned one......... at least not yet [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Yep, I drove one in 1963, on Tiger Mountain, Washington State.
2. It handled great!
3. I've loved the FC series ever since!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:21 PM

Re: OT: Anyone ever driven a Jeep Forward Control?

There's a yard three blocks from work that has two of them just sitting there. Not sure if the guy is thinking about restoring them. Other than the body configuration being drastically different, are these basically the same as a CJ? What advantages/disadvantages would there be with a cab-over design?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT: Anyone ever driven a Jeep Forward Control?

1. Yes, their basically a CJ5... with the FC body. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What advantages/disadvantages would there be with a cab-over design?

[/ QUOTE ]1. In a head-on you die faster.
2. Their cool.
3. The FC style permits a larger payload.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Journeyman

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So if you ever see some old Jeeps around don't be afraid to go up and ask about them you might find your own "old man".

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw what I mistook to be an old Jeep the other day and stopped by to talk to the guy about it. I found out it was an old Ford GPW and that he and his son has restored a few old jeeps. All this less that 5 miles from my house! You never know who you will meet.

And about the FC Jeeps the first time I saw one I happened to see JEEP on the back and for the life of me couldn’t figure out what it was. I drove around the block at least twice trying to figure out what it was. I would drive one….
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:42 PM

My dad owned an FC150, but we got rid of it way before I was old enough to drive it. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] It was a great old truck. Ever since then I've always liked them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

This old man had a couple of FC-170s and a few FC-150s. He is an old farmer from West Texas and he stores most of his Jeeps at his ranch. I would love to vist there someday. I can just imagine the parts he has accumulated.

Later,
Tom

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Veteran

A few years ago I test drove a white 1962 FC-170 that was for sale in my town. I was impressed with the tight turning radius and the comfortable ride (for a Jeep). I didn't end up buying it and have been kicking myself ever since. As for the disadvantages: The good news is that you are always the first one to the scene of the accident. The bad news is that you are always the first one to the scene of the accident. I love 'em anyway!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

seen a bunch.. never drove one.. i almost had the chance.. till some [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] moderator CRUSHED IT!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode