Need tips for first competition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Need tips for first competition

Long time no post here. Been busy. Hope you guys are all well. As it stands the jeep is still running strong begging to be pushed hard so I thought it's time to take the next step in wheeling. I had a great time out this weekend on some gnarly East-Coast rocks guiding rides, welding up busted parts (not mine) and shedding some parts off the ol' jeep (non weldable [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]).

Sooo, I found out that there's to be a Virginia State Rock Crawling Championship for stock, modified and crazy classes in October. I was hoping to enter the stock class but my lowering kit hasn't arrived yet and both of my lockers are still alive. And since I'm not crazy (yet) that leaves the modified class. This would be my first comp and could use some tips both tactical and rig related. I'll pretty much leave the drivetrain as it is but thinking of putting on some more protection. Current specs are 4.0, 62 crawl and 36 TSLs. I have a 2low kit so tight stuff is ok.

Probably will need some rocker guards, oilpan and steering box protection as well? I got a stout rear bumper and diff guards both ends. Mostly I'm concerned about the underside oilpan area. What have you guys done in that respect? Also what can be done to limit oil spills when turtled (pretty much expected) ? What to work on with the spotter? Anybody can loan a winch? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, probably too many questions but any advice is appreciated.

Kut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 07:53 PM

Re: Need tips for first competition

Check yer rig over carefully for worn U-Js, steering & ball joints, etc.
... anything that might break from the strain.
Add a radiator hoop and tube your fenders narrow your bumpers if possable.
Smooth out and flatten your rig's belly.
Do what ever is needed to get a full and equal range of stop to stop turning.
Make sure your power steering equipment is in top shape, upgrade the pump if necessary. Forget AGR.
Learn how to brake turn and practice to at least do a front burn.
Take off every thing they allow that might get dented ... tailgate, lights, doors ... even yer hood!
Practice communicating with your spotter so you both are talking the same language. Tell him you will need to know the proper approach angle (which you usually can not see) BEFORE he turns around to go farther up course.

.... for starters ...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks. I'll go through that list. Also, what kind of hand signals are usually used for spotter-driver communication?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:14 AM

Voice rather than hand communication is the most prominent aside from simple finger pointing.
Turn to 'driver' or 'passenger' side are the most used directional cues.
'Ease it', 'crawl it', 'bump it', and 'HIT it' are are popular cues making progress.
Your spotter should start helping with the first rock and cone and remember not to get too far ahead of the driver.
He should keep an eye on the best approach for the next chute but not turn and go to the next until he is sure you are going to make it through the present one.
Don't look too far ahead assuming you are going to clear a gate ... make sure you clear it!
The driver should be paying attention to the cones on the left with the spotter's attention on the passenger's side and the left front when the wheels are turned hard right obsuring it from the driver's sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode