Help with scout 44 steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Help with scout 44 steering

Ive tried searching the archives but can't come up with good results. FOr the scout 44 swap, what is the general consensus on which knuckles to use?? Most posts referred to using the 30 knuckles, but mine are trash. Can the scout knucles be made to work?
Next question, suppose I leave the scout knuckles on... To hook up my CJ drop pitman arm to the scout knuckle, can I put my pitman arm in the center position (don't know the word here, but equal amount of turns lock to lock either side) and then put the scout outers facing straight down the road and have a rod made to that length??? (making sure to use the correct joints on either end for correct fit? I can't see how this will negatively affect my steering, but this is something I don't have loads of trial and error time on either.

I guess what I am asking, what mods do I need to use the scout knucles as is??

Did my qustion make sense?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 11:47 PM

Re: Help with scout 44 steering

The Scout knuckles are designed for 0* of caster. You can use them, but you won`t care for how it drives.
ANYTHING else would be a better choice. You will need to cut loose and spin the axle yokes to get some
positive caster also. Most people use Chevy flat-top knuckles, but I went with Dodge flat-tops `cause I
couldn`t get any Chevy knuckles cheap. I took everything I needed off a `86 Dodge Ramcharger, knuckles,
spindles, stub axles, hubs/rotors, and calipers. Put it all on my Scout front end, only paid $75.00 for it all.
The main reason I went that way was to keep my 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. When you want to get your tie-
rod/draglinks made, check out Spidertrax offroad. They have great prices on custom made links. Very heavy
duty and exellent quality.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Is it becuase in turning the knuckles upward, the steering force is no longer put to the 9 oclock (looking from axle side) of the wheel but further up, and this makes it no good to use the scout knucles? (unless left at 0* caster)

So then as far finding outers to put on my scout 44's, would parts off any vehicle with a disk brake dana 44 work?? Or what donor vehicles do I look for (5 on 5.5 bolt pattern is what I need)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 12:12 AM

1/2 ton 4x4 Dodge trucks, not sure what all years work, and Dodge Ramchargers have the 5, 5 1/2 pattern.
Ford 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks and Bronco`s also have that wheel pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode