83 Cj7 Will not start And Need Help, Ignition Prob - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

83 Cj7 Will not start And Need Help, Ignition Prob

Ok I have a 83 CJ7 with a 258, and here is what happened, I was rewiring the dash and accendiently left the ignition switch on over the course of two days, when i was not working on the jeep. i then went to start it and it did not start....It would not turn over, so I replaced the battery, and It would just turn over and not run once the key was out of the start position. Then i replace the ignition switch, and ignition modual and it would not fire off. i have spark out of my coil and to my plugs and it will rotate but not fire off once the key is out of the start position it just shuts down. I have gas in the carb, so that is not it. The person who come up with the idea that fixs it will get $10.00 via paypal. So start thinking and posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 83 Cj7 Will not start And Need Help, Ignition Prob

I would say to check the green and white wire for shorts or blown fuse's.....you may be getting power out of the starter relay when the selonoid is connected and not out of the ig. mod.

Just a guess........I need the $10.00!!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:06 PM

Solenoid or the fusible link that's attached. I did the same thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have replaced the Selonoid, but where is that Link Located, I do not see any fuses on the circuit.
John
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:57 PM

Re: 83 Cj7 Will not start And Need Help, Ignition

The fusible link is a special wire called a "fusible link". There are no "fuses". You need to break out the volt meter and check for the 12V to the coil with the key in the on position. I only have a 1982 Jeep book and don't suspect things to have changed much in 83. From what I can tell, the fusible link is red in color, and controls the pull in solenoid on the starter. If it cranks, the fusible link is ok. To cut to the chase, hook a 12V jumper wirer to from the battery to the + side of the coil. Crank it up and see what happens. To shut the engine off, pull the battery jumper off.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The engine will crank over but it will not fire off stay on, when the key is back in the run position. So I think that I may have a short somewhere, But I have looked at all the wiring and can not seem to find anything, I am going to look at all the wires under the dash and trace the tonight to wee if i can find a break or anything in them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 03:18 PM

So if I understand what you are saying,,, the motor will start but it turns off when the switch is placed out of the start position; and in the run position; it dies. Is this what you are saying?

If so,,, you said you replaced the ignition switch right. well if you did NOT get it adjusted right you will be able to start the motor but when it falls back to the run position it can't make contact. You may have to adjust it some.

Of course this may be something all together different.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah that is not it bc i have the switch off the colume right now, but I think that it may be a wire right now. Do you know if there is any of the wires go into a fuse?/
JOhn
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:49 PM

Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i have the switch off the colume right now,

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that you have the ignition switch off the column or the key switch, and you are trying to start the motor??

If you have the ignition switch off how are you trying to start it. buy pushing the slide bar into the switch to operate the contacts?

If so then you may not be able to locate the slide in the proper position for the run mode. The switch is just a slide contact that holds in place by the key switch positions, and the adjustments on the ignition switch location on the column.

I may be all wet here you may already know this but I had to ask [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can use a torx driver and do the same as the rod. And hold it in diffrent locations and when you pull it back in to the run position. So that is not it I think that I am having a wiring problem, so I am going to sheck all the wires tonight.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode