Metallic "Tink" noise from RR hub, what is it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Metallic \"Tink\" noise from RR hub, what is it?

The vehicle - a stock '81 CJ8 w'AMC 20. I used it to rip out an basketball goal by strapping the pole to the Rear bumper a couple of days ago. Now occasionally I hear a metallic "tink" when I pull forward or go backward in the driveway taking off in the right rear hub. I have not disassembled anything yet to look at it. I don't hear anything else when on the road when I shift, turn, or put a load on the rear axle.

Could this mean I'm about to spin a hub, or worse, have a cracked & failing axle?

Hmmm...did I saw worse? Maybe this is an "opportunity" to do a D44 swap...Hmmm....

Seriously, anyone heard something similar form their original AMC 20 rear axle and have a suggestion on the cause? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:49 PM
davenjeip

Re: Metallic \"Tink\" noise from RR hub, what is it?

does it increase with vehicle speed? I've got a noise that goes tink, tink, tink until about 25 mph. I think it's my screwed up rear brakes, but my mechanic friens says they're fine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 AM

Re: Metallic \"Tink\" noise from RR hub, what is it?

What you're hearing is the hub working loose on the axel shaft - a common failure for the D20. That's why people switch to one-piece aftermarket axels.

There are no splines between the hub and axel. Instead there are serrations on the axel, and when the big nut is tightened it presses matching serrations into the hub which then doesn't slip. In theory. With age and rust, they do eventually spin.

You can tighten the nut, and maybe stop the click. It worked for me. The torque spec is 250 ft-lbs. When one of mine started clicking I loosened the nut and tightened it to spec. No change.

I figured that if it continued to click, it would spin free sooner or later, so I decided to tighten the nut severely and either fix it or break it on the spot. I put a 5' pipe over the breaker bar and stood on it with most of my 200 pounds. That got another quarter turn out of the nut, nothing broke, and it's been quiet since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode