Never buy cut-off wheels again! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:36 PM
brendan

Never buy cut-off wheels again!

I realize that probably none of you guys own gas powered cut off saws, but I thought i'd share yesterday's discovery.

I was chopping up a scout frame and needed to put my blade into one of those awkward spots where one false move detonates your blade. I took of the silica carbide blade and grabbed a spent diamond abrasive stone cutting blade to make that one cut, and wound up using that same, used up blade to chop up the ENTIRE scout. Granted, it doesn't leave that great of a cut, but considering that you can walk into your local masonry contractor's shop and get them for free, I can't complain.

Hope someone can use this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:43 PM

Re: Never buy cut-off wheels again!

Does it cut as fast?
(I have 3 saws at work)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:01 PM
brendan

I don't think that it cuts as fast as a 1/8" thick wheel, probably equal to a 3/16" maybe? Hard to say. The rusted out frame also varied in thickness, making it hard to judge.

One thing that I should mention is that there are different styles of diamond blades. The good ones that have the diamond matrix brazed or laser welded won't work, because when they are cashed, there is NO diamond left.

The cheapo blades have the diamond matrix cast over the steel core. When cheap blades will no longer cut stone, there is still diamond left on the blade, but the steel core is poking up through it, making it ineffective for stone cutting.

When I was cutting, I noticed that it was way more effective to cut through as thin a profile as possible. Rather than trying to cut each side of the tube, plunging right through it so the blade only contacted 1/8" of steel made the cutting more effective. This is counter-intuitive if you are used to carbide abrasive blades, because you don't want to risk the blade in a deep plunge cut. Plunging also helped because the blade skated all over the surface when starting the cuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A torch would be much easier, safer, and faster.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 09:07 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Long time no hear. I must stop up one of these days. I borrowed a plasma cutter, 110V, to work on the Zuk this week, if you need it for anything, let me know. It'll do up to 3/16", and body metal really easily. I also borrowed the MM185 welder, so if you need anything welded.

Where do you get these disks you speak of? I have been using the abrasive ones that consume themselves, fiber reinforced, but they don't last long.

I also found a new trail rig, not sure if you're interested. It is a '65 of so J-truck nose (like yours), with no back body. It has a Dodge 318 with some massive 2WD tranny (NO idea, never seen one as large before, it dwarfs my SM465) with divorced NP205. It also has 8 lug D60 FF rear and D44 front, unknown gearing. They're asking $200/OBO, but I don't need another project, I have too many as it is. It's in Woolwich if you're interested.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:13 PM
brendan

I'll give you easier and faster. How do you figure safer?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:30 PM
brendan

Mark, stop up any time(except this weekend-going to MD for an 800 tub)! I blew by your house the other month and saw you have a new wagon project. 4WD? Looks like it's in good shape.

I'll try to think of something to cut up. I've never used plasma before.

I can put my hands on about 40 of them at Rockers right now. We PAY the camden dump to take 150-200 of them every year. Any mason or hardscape contractor will likely have some laying in the corner of the shop.

Thanks for the tip on the J-truck. A friend of mine is building a cherokee for his girlfriend and wants a rhino chaser grill. I need a dana 60 for the scout. Maybe we cna split it. Do you drive by it going to work?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 08:45 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, every day. You doing a Scoout project? I have some parts here you're welcome to if you want them.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:52 AM
brendan

Mark, I remebered that you'd had a couple of II carcasses. I think they were 304 auto's? I may be interested in the engine, if you've got one in good shape. I'd take the rigs for sure if I was building a II, but I'm going the hard way with an 800. I have a 266 in one of 4 80/800's in the yard, and was planning to use that, but have yet to compression test it. I don't want to put any time into the orphan 266, but if it runs alright(seems to) I'm going to run with that until I decide what this rig is going to be used for. The present plan is for a 392 with major head work and 454 TBI and run it on the road in the summer and in the woods. After towing with the J10 this summer, though, I may rethink using the 258 powered jeep for doing my towing duties. I might want to go with a mild TBI 345 in the scout and tow with that instead. The 392 I'd like to build won't be getting good mileage. OR I'll get a 1310 1 ton and tow with that. That's a few years off, though. If you're going to be around, I'll swing by this coming weekend.

Where's the Jtruck at in wiscasset?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:55 AM
brendan

Do you recant, or do you have a horror story to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode