O/T - Lost pretty much ALL respect for JP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

O/T - Lost pretty much ALL respect for JP

So I get my September issue of JP Magazine in the mail yesterday. I don't look to it for much useful information, but it's entertaining, if only for the Jeep pics. Now, most 4x4 rags suck, and JP is no exception, but man, I don't know what the hell has happened to them. It's a serious joke. This month's issue is a Top 10 issue, where they list a whole bunch of top 10's, from the worst Jeeps ever, to the most asked questions. Here are a few examples...

1. 10 Things Chicks Dig About Guys in Jeeps(haven't read it, and probably won't)
2. 10 Jeeps We'd Never Own(CJ-3B[what's wrong with it?], postal Jeeps, Resto'd Jeeps, etc.)
3. 10 Best Used Jeeps(Funny, they mention a '91-'96 YJ...I didn't know they made '96's)

That's just an example. Like I said, I don't look for real information out of rags, but some useful info would be nice. The info in this month's JP seems like it was scrounged together a day before the deadline and shoved into print. I don't know if they got a new editor, or they just thought they'd be d!cks this month, because that's what they appear to be doing. Each article I've read they seem to of slammed someone or someone's taste in Jeeps. It's B/S. Anyway, just thought I'd throw some of that info your guys ways and see if anyone else has read this month's garbage. I can't wait for my subscription to run out. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll call me asking if I want to renew, then I can direct them to the September issue about chicks digging Jeep guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 04:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T - Lost pretty much ALL respect for JP

Can't say that I have read this month's JP, but i share your frustration, howeer, this is what angeres me with most 4x mags, all they ever show, at least 90% of the time, are these huge rigs that cost $50,000 in mods on top of the $50,000 they spent on the truck brand new while having pro shops and do all teh work!!! Show something us po' jeep folks can afford and do!! I mean, who needs axle with flame shaped, chrome cut outs!!! I mean aside from the obvious benefits of having the fire to improve airflow and climbing ability (pointless dry witicism)
-Nick [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I feel your Pain, But other than the BBS (which is where I get the majority of my info) What is there? I still suscribe [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

The shame of it is there is some budding jeeper's out there actualy listening to this stuff..

Oh well I will just read their rag and be happy with my practicaly stock TJ. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:41 AM

WOW, Its been over a year since my subscription ran out and I don't even miss it.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:11 AM
blackjeep2002

I stopped getting those magazines about the time that one company took over all 3 of the ones I liked (JP, 4Wheel and Off Road, and Four Wheeler). I noticed that all of the same articles started appearing in each of the magazines. Also, I noticed that it seemed that the writing was starting to be geared towards a certain group of individuals (words like "rad", "awesome", "gnarly", etc. started making it into print a lot) and not toward the general reader. To make a long(er) story short, they started to suck big time and I was tired of wasting my money on them. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Glad to see that someone shares my opinion, just hope the editors pick up on this as well, I may try reading them again. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Keith [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:47 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
1. 10 Things Chicks Dig About Guys in Jeeps(haven't read it, and probably won't)

[/ QUOTE ]
What the heck has this magazine turned into "Cozmo" (the only reason I even know that magazine exsists is because when I was a teen ager I hung around with teen age girls).
I think I'll wait a couple days to let this post fill up and then I'll e-mail a link to JP maybe we can get them back to what they should be...tech articles, new equipment, cool mods, and well built Jeeps not what color nail polish to use in the mud and how to untangle your wind blown hair.
John
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:17 AM
utahjeepr

Yep, all the mags are a bit lame. Seems like there are one or two useful tidbits in every issue though. Besides, until I get internet access in the can I gotta keep up my subscriptions.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Way Outta Control

""until I get internet access in the can I gotta keep up my subscriptions""

Sorry, internet won't replace the "wheeler" mags in the can.
It's hard to get old phone books and Sears catalogs lately, so without the wheeler mags it'd be back to corncobs - that's just too rough. There really is a use for them.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 11:44 AM

I agree completely. This months issue is the worst 4 bucks I `ve ever spent, what a waste. I `d bet if you
lined up the staff at JP for a picture, they would look like a bunch of spring break punks too drunk or stoned
to realize that school is back in back session. This will be my last copy of JP.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:19 PM

Funny, I think this was the same publication that was complaining about boards such as this one. The editorial scoffed at most of the information that came from 'net boards. I for one trust the people on this board way more than someone who writes for a magazine that has sponsors to satisfy.

-JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode