is this jeep reasonably priced? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is this jeep reasonably priced?

It's a 77 CJ7. It has a 258, a T-18A [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], a Dana 20 transfercase, a D-30 front, an AMC 20 rear, and 33" tires. the owner wrote me "i bought the jeep about 2 years ago. the owner at the time had primarily used it for off roading. so it has nice size tires and a lift. i only have used it for transportation back and forth to work. so i have had a good deal of work done to it in order to get it running as a daily driver. it runs great, new carb, tune-up,
drive shaft, etc. the front locking hubs have recently been
rebuilt. i think it has a t-14 transmission. its a 4 speed with a low first gear. the body is in decent shape with some off road damage and a little rust. but it is very solid. all the mounts have recently been adjusted." Took it to a mechanic took a quick look, he said looks fine except that the steeringbox and linkage need to be relpaced. How much will it cost to replace these? The owner says he wants to get three grand for it. He had an offer of 2000, and i'm thinking of offering 2300. what do you think? I put picures at www.geocities.com/cartoonanimal92
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: is this jeep reasonably priced?

Sounds about the price it would sell for here.
Check the frame for rust through.
A power steering gearbox is about $200 new and a pain to replace, There are junkyard solutions, but I was too mechanically challenged for that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:21 AM
Journeyman

I can't find the receipt from mine, but I got a newly rebuilt gearbox off ebay from a place called Borelli's Auto Parts in Elwyn, PA for $129 (I am almost positive that was the price). Of course I snapped the heads off of two of the mounting bolts trying to remove the old one.. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 11:26 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Sounds decent. Is it power steering? Mine had manual on it when I bought it. Take a good look at it. The shaft from steering collumn to box was worn out on mine. This was probably 75% of my problem. I was able to find used PS parts with some effort: New shaft- $15.00 (PS is different from MS), Pump & brackets- case of beer, Gear- free (friend got tired of looking at it sitting behind his shop) I've heard that the GM style saginaw gears are interchangable but don't know the specifics. Good Luck with the possible purchase! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, it is power steering. Thanks for input. I really appreacate it. I'm so excited, it looks like I'm going to make an offer on my first Jeep!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:03 PM

I wouldn't think twice about it. It would be sitting in my driveway...if I didn't already have a '5 and a '7! LOL! If this was a democracy, I'd vote to go for it!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 02:14 AM

Sounds like a solid bargain... The rust in those pics looks to be at the point where it can still be sanded down and POR'ed. That would be my first order of buisiness if I was purchasing it....

Oh, and it's that nice sparkly blue!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I cant tell you how valuable your input is! I'm making an offer!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got it for 2500! Thank you all! I'm the happiest kid alive! I'm probably going to pick it up Saturday! I'm not sure I can wait! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You actually bought that thing??????????? We were kidding...That thing is probably only worth about $750...We didn't think you were going to take us seriously...Dude, this really sucks...

Just kidding...congratulations...now is when you learn what JEEP really means (Just Empty Every Pocket). Now get some pics up on here so we can all enjoy it along with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode