OT - Proud new papa of a motorcycle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

OT - Proud new papa of a motorcycle

Well I've gone and done it. For a whopping $800 I bought a 1974 Honda CB550. Garaged probly its entire life as the paint looks brand spankin new. The milage reads just under 9k miles. The idle was really low and would die if you let off the gas. So I looked at it and turned a screw a few turns and problem solved. The only thing thats not great about it is the mufflers are pretty badly pitted but in all honestly I really don't care much about that. It also needs a new battery. The tires are practically brand new though...still have the little nipples around the outside edges.

Of course I bought a SNELL approved helmet and a pair of gloves before I rode it home. I'm giddier than a school girl going to an N'Sync concert right now. I rode it around my neighborhood for close to 30 minutes just going in circles.

Now all I need to do is get it plated and find some decent insurance. My company wanted $400 a year........sheah right!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 09:55 PM

Re: OT - Proud new papa of a motorcycle

Nick be carefull and have fun. Bikes are the bomb. You have to understand that as dangerous as jeeps can be bikes are worse. At least you are going to get some riding time in under your belt on a bike(non modern SS) that doesn't produce 100+ HP. (it's an E-bay relic money maker [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
As Gay as it sounds wear gear........ALL the time......and be carefull. The cagers are out to get you without knowing it.
Have fun and be carefull bro. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] I love bikes. (just the 140+ HP ones [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]) J/K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:48 PM

Does it have airbags??? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If not, maybe I could sell you mine!!! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

Just Kidding, have fun and be safe!!

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:49 AM

I still have some dual (2 into 1) drag pipes (loud) that should fit it hanging in my shed. I may still also have a 4 into 1 hooker(quiet) header someplace too. I had them on a 500 four and a 550 four but I forget the exact years they were but I know they were early to mid 70's.

If your interested let me know?

Congrats on your find! post some pics it would bring back some memories for me [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

In2Mud....it is a CB550Four. Its a deep maroon almost purple color. So far it hasn't really given me any problems. I did have to replace the battery since the one in there had sat for a few years without being charged. I got the throttle adjusted correctly so that it doesn't die when I'm off the gas and it doesn't idle too fast.

I still don't have plates for it yet though, so I can't take it out of my neighborhood in fear of being stopped by the coppers. I'm already starting to like it more than my CJ. I suppose thats because it hasn't let me down yet and everything seems to work.

I'll try and get some photo's when I can. Its really in great shape. All of the original stickers are still on it, including the one on the gas tank that says "Preserve nature...wear a helmet".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode