?'s on D44 Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

?\'s on D44 Swap

Sorry about the wealth of posts the past couple of days, I am just in emergency "get the YJ to drive" mode....

With any issues I might have with the T150/D20 swap resolved (I've got all of the necessary parts ready to go...) I'm now focusing in on scoring a set of D44's (they have to be passenger side drop, mind you).... What am I looking for? My instructor from school says he will be able to assist me with any grinding/welding, etc that will be necessary, and I realize a good deal of adjustment will be necessary... What manufacturers/models/years do I need to be looking for? What does a matched set usually run for?

-pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 08:03 PM

Re: ?\'s on D44 Swap

A nearly direct bolt in would be scout II 44's, the only thing to consider is caster, most of them have 0*, 6 degrees is preferable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I just finished up a D300/D44 swap into my YJ a few months back. I ended up putting in a '76-ish Wagoneer front D44. It's probably about 3" wider than a stock YJ, but that's not bad. I have a D44 out of an '88 Wagoneer in the rear. They are 6-lug axles. I believe Scout axles would be just a little bit narrower, but I'm not certain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:22 PM

I just started this swap (God I have lost a lot tools since I moved!) Any info you dig up, keep us posted. Mine are scout II 44's, but 3.07 gears, so I might have to go back to 31's and put my 35's on the shelf for a while.
Changing the caster doesn't look to complicated, just brute force and taking that first giant leap of *OH GOD* putting a grinder on your axle...

It was almost a shame this scout has 34,000 original miles, and a new tub for the back end, would have been a killer resto project, but my jeep keeps me busy enough and it needed 44's more than me needing a scout!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

I just scored a set of Scout D44's... 307's, factory limited slip (so says the PO at least...) 25,000 miles on the axles. All for $250 for the set! I'm psyched... I'll keep everyone posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode